via press release:
MSNBC #2 CABLE NEWS NETWORK IN JUNE
"The Rachel Maddow Show" Ranks #2 for the Month and Second Quarter 2013
CNN down double digits from May 2013
Fox News Channel has Lowest Monthly Weekday Primetime Performance in More than Twelve Years
NEW YORK – July 2, 2013 – MSNBC was the #2 cable news network for the month of June, topping CNN and HLN in key ratings categories, according to data from Nielsen. Without big news events to drive ratings, CNN dropped 43% in weekday primetime and 40% in daytime among A25-54 compared to May 2013. Fox News Channel saw the network’s lowest weekday primetime performance among A25-54 in more than twelve years – since August 2001.
For the month, MSNBC weekday primetime (M-F 8-11p) ranked #2 among A25-54 (160,000) and total viewers (577,000). MSNBC also ranked #1 among African-American in both A25-54 and P2+ in weekday primetime. MSNBC also ranked #2 in M-Su primetime (8p-11p) in both A25-54 and total viewers (521,000).
The following are MSNBC’s morning and primetime highlights for June 2013:
. “Morning Joe” (6-9 a.m. ET) was #2 among total viewers for the month with 350,000. Despite the highly promoted launch of “New Day” (debuted on June 17), CNN’s mornings are down -25% compared to the heavy news month of May. During the two week period “New Day” aired, “Morning Joe" edged out the new CNN show in A2554 107,000 to 106,000 and beat the new entry in total viewers 351,000 to 303,000.
· “Hardball” with Chris Matthews at 5 p.m. ranked #2 in both total viewers (580,000) and A25-54 (108,000).
· “PoliticsNation” with Rev. Al Sharpton at 6 p.m. ranked #2 with total viewers (536,000) and A25-54 (126,000).
· “Hardball” with Chris Matthews at 7 p.m. was #2 in total viewers (489,000) and beat CNN among A25-54 (115,000).
· “The Rachel Maddow Show” at 9 p.m. topped the competition ranking #2 in A25-54 (195,000) and total viewers (694,000). Despite breaking news dominating the second quarter news cycle, "The Rachel Maddow Show" beat CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight" for the quarter in both total viewers and A25-54 (236,000 vs. CNN's 230,000).
· “The Last Word” with Lawrence O’Donnell at 10 p.m. (Monday-Thursday) ranked #2 with total viewers (602,000) and A2554 (152,000).
. “Up with Steve Kornacki” on Sundays ranked #2 among and beat CNN among A25-54 (137,000).
* MSNBC is #1 in delivering African American viewers (P2+) for the 41st consecutive month in M-Su Primetime
- Among younger viewers A18-34, MSNBC Longform ranks #1 in Weekend Sales Prime (Sa/Su 7p-2a) for the 56thconsecutive month.
MSNBC is the premier destination for in-depth analysis of daily headlines, insightful political commentary and informed perspectives. Reaching more than 95 million households worldwide, MSNBC offers a full schedule of live news coverage, political opinions and award-winning documentary programming – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Viewers can find more information on MSNBC’s programming at www.tv.msnbc.com.