via press release:
NBC is #1 for the night on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in 18-49 and total viewers, with the #1 and #2 shows of the night, the 8-10 p.m. ET "Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular" and the 10-11 p.m. recap special.
- From 8-10 p.m. ET, "Macy's 4th of July Fireworks® Spectacular" (1.5/7 in 18-49, 7.1 million viewers overall) rocketed to the night's #1 results in 18-49 and total viewers and won the time period among ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in every ratings category. This year’s 8-10 p.m. coverage is currently running within 0.3 of a point of last year’s 1.8 in 18-49 for a 9-10 p.m. telecast and within 1.0 million persons of last year’s 8.116 million overall viewership.
- Comparing this year’s second hour from 9-10 p.m. ET to last year’s 9-10 telecast, the 2013 special is currently up 6% in 18-49 (with a 1.9 vs. a 1.8) and up 9% in total viewers (8.835 million vs. 8.116 million).
- Pending updates, the 8.835 million from 9-10 p.m. ET is the biggest “Macy’s” audience in that hour in 13 years, since 8.847 million in 2000, the first year NBC televised the "Macy's 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular." .
- From its first half-hour to its fourth, the Macy’s 8-10 p.m. ET telecast grew by 167% (to a 2.4 rating from a 0.9). In total viewers, the growth was 109% or 5.6 million persons (10.8 million vs. 5.2 million).
- The annual special, hosted by Nick Cannon of “America’s Got Talent,” featured performances by Mariah Carey, Tim McGraw, Taylor Swift, Cher, Pitbull and Selena Gomez.
- From 10-11 p.m. ET, a recap telecast of "Macy's 4th of July Fireworks® Spectacular" (1.3/6 in 18-49, 5.5 million viewers overall) ranked #1 among ABC, CBS and NBC in adults 18-49, total viewers and all other key demographics. The 10 p.m. “Macy’s” encore trails only the 8-10 p.m. original among the night’s primetime telecasts on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in 18-49 and total viewers.
- Pending updates, the 10 p.m. recap is up versus last year’s encore by 8% in 18-49 rating (with a 1.3 vs. a 1.2) and 13% in total viewers (5.488 million vs. 4.876 million).
- In the 10:30 lead-in to local news, the "Macy's 4th of July Fireworks® Spectacular" recap delivered a 70 percent margin of victory among ABC, CBS and NBC in the key news demo of adults 25-54 (with a 1.7 rating vs. a 1.0 for CBS’s second-place ” ” encore). The “Macy’s” recap led the 10:30 half-hour among ABC, CBS and NBC in all other key demos.
- NBC is #1 for the night among ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and CW in adults 18-49, total viewers and all other key categories.
- Note that some local-market 4th of July preemptions on all networks were included in these preliminary fast-affiliate ratings but will be excluded from official national ratings.