via press release:
NBC SPORTS GROUP TO AIR 103 NHL REGULAR-SEASON GAMES IN 2013-14
NBC Sports Network Drops Puck on NHL 2013-14 Season on Tuesday, October 1 at 8 p.m. ET with Washington Capitals at 2013 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks
NHL Winter Classic Between Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings at Michigan Stadium, “The Big House,” January 1 at 1 p.m. ET on NBC
NBC and NBC Sports Network Combine to Televise 2014 NHL Stadium Series and NHL Heritage Classic
Wednesday Night Rivalry Continues on NBC Sports Network with 24 Games
NBC Sports Live Extra to Stream All 103 Regular-Season Games
Bruins Have League-High 13 National TV Games Followed by Blackhawks, Blues, Penguins, Rangers & Wild with 12
Stamford, Conn. -- July 19, 2013 -- NBC Sports Group will deliver coverage of 103 NHL regular-season games during the 2013-14 season, featuring 13 games on NBC and 90 games on NBC Sports Network. All games will be streamed live via NBC Sports Live Extra. Schedule highlights include:
- The season begins with NHL Face-Off, the League’s North American launch event. Prior to NBC Sports Network’s first game of the season, in which the Washington Capitals visit the 2013 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks, NBC Sports Network will provide coverage of the Blackhawks 2013 Stanley Cup championship banner raising ceremony at the United Center in Chicago, Ill.
- The 2014 NHL Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings on January 1 at 1 p.m. ET on NBC.
- The inaugural NHL Stadium Series, featuring four games played in iconic outdoor venues between January 25 and March 1, including: Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Calif., Yankee Stadium in New York, N.Y., and Soldier Field in Chicago, Ill. Plus the NHL Heritage Classic at BC Place in Vancouver, B.C. on March 2.
- The return of Wednesday Night Rivalry on NBC Sports Network. The 2013-14 NHL season on NBCSN will feature 24 Wednesday Night Rivalry telecasts -- up from 15 last year.
- A Stanley Cup Final rematch between the Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins on Sunday, January 19 on NBC.
- Eastern Conference Final rematch between the Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday, October 30 on NBCSN.
- Western Conference Final rematch between the Los Angeles Kings and the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday, December 30 on NBCSN.
- The Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings, who went to seven games in the 2013 Western Conference Semifinals, will face off twice on NBC Sports Network. The Red Wings host the Blackhawks on Wednesday Night Rivalry, January 22. On Sunday, March 16, the Red Wings travel to Chicago to take on the Blackhawks.
- In a renewal of their fierce intra-state rivalry, the Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins meet three times on NBC and NBC Sports Network this season. The Penguins host the Flyers on Wednesday Night Rivalry, November 13 on NBC Sports Network. On Sunday, March 16 the Flyers return to Pittsburgh to take on the Penguins on NBC. The two teams meet again on Saturday, April 12 on NBC.
NBC Sports Network will offer games on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights throughout the season. Beginning in January, a Sunday game will be added most weeks. NBCSN drops the puck on its coverage on Tuesday, October 1 at 7 p.m. ET with NHL Live, NBC Sports Network’s live pre- and post-game show.
NHL Live will feature the banner raising ceremony for the 2013 Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, live from the United Center in Chicago, Ill. At 8 p.m. ET, NBCSN will present exclusive coverage of the Blackhawks hosting the Washington Capitals. Emmy Award-winning play-by-play commentator Mike ‘Doc’ Emrick, analyst Eddie Olczyk and Emmy Award-winning ‘Inside-the-Glass’ analyst Pierre McGuire will call the game.
NHL on NBC coverage begins on Friday, November 29 at 1 p.m. ET, with the NHL Thanksgiving Showdown featuring the New York Rangers at Boston Bruins. Beginning on January 19, and continuing through the end of the regular season, NBC will air a national “Game of the Week” on most Sundays.
The Boston Bruins have the most games across NBC and NBC Sports Network this season, with 13. Boston is followed closely by the Chicago Blackhawks, Minnesota Wild, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, and St. Louis Blues, who all make 12 appearances. Four additional teams have 11 games on NBC and NBC Sports Network -- Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Philadelphia Flyers, and Washington Capitals.
NHL WINTER CLASSIC
The annual NHL Winter Classic will take place on January 1, 2014 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich. -- The Big House -- and will feature the Toronto Maple Leafs vs. the Detroit Red Wings. The 2014 NHL Winter Classic will be broadcast on NBC at 1 p.m. ET. Emrick, Olczyk and McGuire will call the game.
The five previous NHL Winter Classics have produced five of the six most-watched NHL regular-season games in the past 38 years (average viewers).
MOST-WATCHED NHL REGULAR-SEASON GAMES SINCE 1975
|4.5 million||Jan. 1, 2011||NBC||Capitals-Penguins|
|4.4 million||Jan. 1, 2009||NBC||Red Wings-Blackhawks|
|3.8 million||Jan. 27, 1996||FOX||Six-game regional coverage|
|3.8 million||Jan. 1, 2008||NBC||Penguins-Sabres|
|3.74 million||Jan. 2, 2012||NBC||Rangers-Flyers|
|3.68 million||Jan. 1, 2010||NBC||Flyers-Bruins|
NHL STADIUM SERIES and NHL HERITAGE CLASSIC
NBC and NBC Sports Network will combine to present the 2014 NHL Stadium Series, which consists of a new set of four outdoor games. The NHL Stadium Series will feature the Anaheim Ducks-Los Angeles Kings, New Jersey Devils-New York Rangers, New York Islanders-New York Rangers, and Pittsburgh Penguins-Chicago Blackhawks. All games will be held at iconic outdoor stadiums in Los Angeles, New York and Chicago. In addition, NBCSN will also present coverage of the NHL Heritage Classic featuring the Ottawa Senators-Vancouver Canucks.
Coverage begins on Saturday, January 25 at 10 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network, when the 2012 Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings face off against the Anaheim Ducks at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles, Calif. It will be the first outdoor NHL game ever played in Los Angeles, and the second outdoor hockey game for the Kings franchise. In 1991, the Kings participated in an outdoor exhibition match with the New York Rangers in the parking lot at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nev.
The following day, Sunday, January 26 at 1 p.m. ET on NBC, the New York Rangers will take the ice against the New Jersey Devils at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx. The contest will be the second outdoor hockey game for the Rangers in three years, as the team participated in the 2012 NHL Winter Classic against the Philadelphia Flyers at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia, Pa.
Later that week, on Wednesday, January 29 at 7 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network, the New York Islanders will host the Rangers for a second outdoor game at Yankee Stadium. The game will be the first outdoor NHL game for the Islanders and the third for the Rangers since 2012. (2012 NHL Winter Classic and 2014 NHL Stadium Series Game 3)
On Saturday, March 1 at 8 p.m. ET, NBC Sports Network will telecast the fourth game of the series featuring the Pittsburgh Penguins-Chicago Blackhawks at Soldier Field in Chicago, Ill. The Penguins-Blackhawks matchup will be the second time Chicago has hosted a regular-season outdoor NHL game (2009 NHL Winter Classic at Wrigley Field). The Penguins will be participating in their third regular-season outdoor NHL game since 2008. (2008 NHL Winter Classic and 2011 NHL Winter Classic).
The NHL Heritage Classic will take place on Sunday, March 2 at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network. The Vancouver Canucks will play the Ottawa Senators at BC Place in Vancouver, British Columbia.
|January 25, 2014||Ducks-Kings||Dodger Stadium||NBCSN||10 p.m.|
|January 26, 2014||Rangers-Devils||Yankee Stadium||NBC||1 p.m.|
|January 29, 2014||Rangers-Islanders||Yankee Stadium||NBCSN||7 p.m.|
|March 1, 2014||Blackhawks-Penguins||Soldier Field||NBCSN||8 p.m.|
|March 2, 2014||Senators-Canucks#||BC Place||NBCSN||7:30 p.m.|
*All times listed are ET.