CNN Sees Large Ratings Drops in the Weeks Following the End of the Zimmerman Trial

Categories: Cable News Ratings

Written By

July 30th, 2013

Anderson Cooper Zimmerman

CNN struggled to maintain the viewership bump it received from covering the Zimmerman trial, posting a 43% loss for its primetime total viewership and a 60% demo loss after the trial coverage concluded in July (7/8-7/21 vs. 7/22-7/28).  By contrast, MSNBC was down 11% both in viewership and demo, and FOX News lost 4% in total viewers and 15% in demo during the same time period.
In total day, CNN lost 32% of its total viewership and 45% of its demo. During the same period, MSNBC was down 7% in total viewers and 4% in demo and FOX News was only down 2% in P2+ and 13% in demo.

 
© 2014 Tribune Digital Ventures