via press release:
While its cable news competitors failed to see audience gains, CNN posted double-digit growth over year-ago across both Total Day and Prime for the summer months of 2013:
· Total Day: +26% among total viewers and +37% among P25-54
· M-Su Prime: +22% among total viewers and +38% among P25-54
· Summer 2013 marks the first time CNN has ranked ahead of MSNBC in Total Day among both total viewers and P25-54 since Summer 2009 (Michael Jackson’s death)
The summer saw the launch of CNN’s new morning program, as well as strong performances from the network’s weekday programs:
· In mid-June, CNN launched its morning show New Day and the program has improved the 6a-9a time period by 45% among P2+ and by 28% in the target P25-54 demo vs. same period year-ago
· The Lead w/ Jake Tapper at 4p out-performed MSNBC’s Martin Bashir to rank #2 in both demos, while also registering double-digit growth in P2+ and P25-54
· All hours across weekday Prime 8p-11p were up in both P2+ and P25-54, with the 8p hour of Anderson Cooper 360 up the most (+27% in P2+ and +36% in P25-54)
Inside Man with Morgan Spurlock launched on Sundays in the 10p hour at the end of June. Through the first five premiere telecasts, the program increased Live+7 viewing in the time-period by 15% in P2+ and 63% in P25-54 vs. year-ago, bolstered by impressive time-shifted viewing levels that increased show performance by 27% in P2+ and by 61% in P25-54.
Live courtroom coverage of the George Zimmerman trial also contributed to audience increases across the summer months:
· George Zimmerman verdict: Viewing levels were elevated throughout the trial weeks, but CNN’s coverage saw the largest audience deliveries the day of the verdict Saturday 7/13/13:
o Not only did CNN out-perform its cable news competition in Total Day and Prime, but it was the highest Total Day average for the net since the day after the Boston Bombing suspect was captured (4/20/13)
o CNN peaked with 1.7 million P25-54 viewers during the 10p hour of Zimmerman Not Guilty, shortly after the verdict was announced at 9:59p
Summer 2013, CNN continued to remain #1 in reach in cable news, 21% ahead of FXNC and 27% ahead of MSNBC.