via press release:
ESPN Launches New SportsCenter Campaign - “DaDaDa DaDaDa”
On Saturday, Sept. 21, ESPN launched a new campaign in support of its flagship program, SportsCenter. Entitled “DaDaDa DaDaDa,” the campaign focuses on the iconic sound all fans associate with the show, and with great sports moments. The 60-second launch spot features a range of athletes – from professionals to little leaguers – who subtly and not-so-subtly call out their “DaDaDa” moments. Wieden+Kennedy New York is the creative agency.
“This campaign grew out of research we did in order to better understand the role SportsCenter plays in fans’ lives given all the access points for sports news, information, and highlights provided by new technologies,” said Aaron Taylor, senior vice president of marketing. “Fans have a strong emotional connection with the show. And, what we realized is that ‘DaDaDa’ is emotional shorthand for, not only the great moments that happen in sports, but how SportsCenter presents those moments – giving context to them with perspective and personality.”
The TV campaign is running across ESPN networks and beyond, and will include halftime ofwhen the Denver Broncos host the Oakland Raiders. Digital creative beings today as well and, after the initial launch phase, will be updated to highlight timely “DaDaDa” moments. Outdoor digital billboards will run in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, and can also be updated to drive fans to SportsCenter for breaking news and highlights.
Athletes featured in the spot include:
· Chris Chester, Robert Griffin III, Kory Lichtensteiger, Will Montgomery, Alfred Morris, Tyler Polumbus, Trent Williams – Washington Redskins
· Stephen Curry – Golden State Warriors
· Landon Donovan – Professional soccer player
· Sam Gagner – Edmonton Oilers
· Jimmie Johnson – NASCAR driver
· Patrick Kane – Chicago Blackhawks
· Clayton Kershaw – Los Angeles Dodgers
· Andrew McCutchen – Pittsburgh Pirates (highlight called by Greg Brown, of the Pirates)
· Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Tuck – New York Giants
· Paul Rabil – Boston Cannons Lacrosse
· Maria Sharapova – Professional tennis player
· Bubba Watson – professional golfer
· Russell Westbrook – Oklahoma City Thunder
ESPN’s flagship program, SportsCenter, launched the network on September 7, 1979. The “DaDaDa” theme music was introduced in 1989 and composed by John Colby, ESPN’s music director from 1984-1992.The campaign precedes SportsCenter’s move into a brand new state-of-the-art studio in 2014.
“DaDaDa” will complement the existing “This is SportsCenter” campaign, which launched in 1995 and includes a library of more than 400 spots.