‘ABC World News’ Improves Again and Dramatically Closes Gaps with NBC

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Diane-Sawyer

via press release:

“World News” Improves Again on the Same Week Last Year in Both
Total Viewers and Adults 25-54

 

“World News” Is Only Evening Newscast to Grow Year to Year in Adults 25-54
as Both CBS and NBC Drop in Key News Demo

 

For the 3rd time in the 5 Weeks of the Season, “World News” Narrows its Year-Ago
Adults 25-54 Gap with “NBC Nightly News” by Double-Digits

 

“World News” Slashes Total Viewer Gaps with “NBC Nightly News” by Double-Digits Versus the Previous Week to Score its Closest Performance This Season

 

ABC Broadcast is Delivering its Best Overall Viewer Start to a Season in 5 Years
and Up the Most in Adults 25-54

For the week of October 21, 2013, “ABC World News with Diane Sawyer” averaged 8.016 million Total Viewers and a 1.6 rating/6 share/1.973 million in Adults 25-54, according to Nielsen Media Research.  Growing its Total Viewer audience (+3% – 7.768 million on w/o 10/14/13) for the 2nd week in a row to hit a season high, “World News” attracted its largest overall audience in 6 months since w/o 4/15/13.  

For the 2nd straight week, “World News” improved on the same week last year in both Total Viewers (+6%) and Adults 25-54 (+4%) – 7.587 million and 1.890 million on w/o 10/22/12.  In addition, “World News” was the only evening newscast to grow year to year in Adults 25-54 compared to “CBS Evening News” (-7%) and “NBC Nightly News” (-2%).

 

“World News” turned in its two most-watched telecasts of the season on Monday (8.372 million on 10/21/13) and Tuesday (8.307 million on 10/22/13).   

 

For the 2nd week in a row, “World News” decreased its Total Viewer margin with “NBC Nightly News” by double-digits versus the previous week (-16% – 557,000 vs. 662,000) to score its closest performance with the NBC program this season.

 

For the 3rd time in the 5 weeks of the season, “World News” narrowed its year-ago Adults 25-54 gap with “NBC Nightly News” by double-digits (-37% – 203,000 vs. 321,000).   

 

Season to date, “World News” is up versus the same point last season in both Total Viewers (+4%) and Adults 25-54 (+6%), delivering its best overall viewer start to a season in 5 years – since the 2008-09 season. “World News” is also up the most from the same point last season in the key adult news demo compared to “CBS Evening News” (-10%) and “NBC Nightly News” (+3%).

 

In addition, “World News” narrowed its season margin with “NBC Nightly News” in Adults 25-54 by –16% compared to its season margin at the same point last year.  In fact, “World News” is posting its smallest news demo margin (246,000) with the NBC program in 5 years– since the 2008-09 season.

 

For the week, “ABC World News” beat the “CBS Evening News” by 1.198 million Total Viewers and by 382,000 Adults 25-54.

“ABC World News with Diane Sawyer” airs at 6:30 p.m., ET on the ABC Television Network. Michael Corn is the executive producer of the broadcast. Follow Diane Sawyer and the “World News” team online: @DianeSawyer; @ABCWorldNews; facebook.com/DianeSawyer; facebook.com/WorldNews.

 

EVENING NEWS (Week of October 21, 2013)

                                            

   TOTAL VIEWERS  ADULTS 25-54     ADULTS 18-49     HOUSEHOLDS

ABC WORLD NEWS   8,016,000     1.6/6; 1,973,000 1.0/5; 1,323,000 5.5/11

NBC NIGHTLY NEWS 8,573,000     1.8/7; 2,176,000 1.3/6; 1,613,000 5.8/11

CBS EVENING NEWS 6,818,000     1.3/5; 1,591,000 0.8/4; 1,066,000 4.5/ 9

 

Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers and Adults 25-54 Live + SD weeks of 10/21/13, 10/14/13 & 10/22/12.  Most Current: 2013-2014 Season (9/23 – 10/27/13) and 2012-2013 Season (9/24 – 10/28/12).  All averages based on regular telecasts.

blog comments powered by Disqus