via press release:
VH1 Dominates Monday Nights Throughout 2013
In Both Television Ratings and Social Media Engagement
Original Programming Successes Fuel +36% Year-Over-Year Increase
in Total Viewers In Primetime This Quarter
NEW YORK, December 19, 2013 – Mondays should have been renamed “VHMondays” in 2013.
VH1 dominated cable television throughout the year on Monday nights, scoring as the #1 non-sports network among Adults 18-49 on those evenings 22 weeks out of the year and dominating as a Top 5 non-sports network 49 weeks out of the year in the same demo. VH1 was also the #1 non-sports cable network among Women 18-49 for 42 weeks during 2013 year-to-date.
The network is finishing 2013 on an upswing. For 4th quarter year-to-date, VH1 is currently averaging 714,000 total viewers in primetime -- a +36% increase over 4th quarter 2012’s total viewership primetime average.
“Monday nights are comfort food for our audience. They’ve survived the start of the week, so they’re ready to settle in and enjoy our multiple storylines,” said VH1 President Tom Calderone.
“We’ve teased them on social media throughout the weekend about Monday’s upcoming episodes and allowed them to engage with the talent in creative meaningful ways. During the night, we encourage them to engage with our talent who live tweet during the telecasts. Viewers also tweet each other about pivotal plot developments -- which ultimately also serves as promotion for the series. We’re now extending those best practices to new nights of original programming such as Thursdays with our hit series ‘Mob Wives.’”
Some Nielsen Research Media ratings standouts from Monday’s power line-up in 2013:
· “Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta” ended its season as the #2 ad supported cable series of the summer among Women 18-49 and the #2 cable reality show among Adults 18-49. The Monday, July 29 second season finale of “Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta” scored a season high 2.8 in the key P18-49 demo and brought in 4.1 million total viewers. When combined with the 10PM* encore episode, over 6.2 million total viewers tuned “Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta” is the #1 cable reality show of the summer among Adults and Women 18-49.
· VH1’s “Hit The Floor” series about pro basketball cheerleaders was the highest rated new summer scripted cable series for Adults 18-49. The Monday, July 29 season finale of VH1’s new scripted series “Hit the Floor,” averaged a series high 1.7 in the Adult 18-49, a 2.5 in the Women 18-49 demo and a 3.4 in the Women 18-34 demo. The season finale episode at 9:00PM* drew in 2.6 million total viewers to VH1. When combined with the 11:00PM* encore episode, over 3.9 million total viewers tuned in that evening.
· The current season of “New York” is pacing up +43% among Adults 18-49 and Women 18-49 vs. the same number of episodes last season. The series also ranks as the # 1 show in its time period among Women 18-49, and the # 1 non-sports cable show in the time period among Adults 18-49.
· The third season of “T.I. & Tiny: The Family Hustle” ranked as the #1 show among Adults and Women 18-49 in its time period. The season also finished +8% over season 2, averaging 2.2 million total viewers per premiere episode.
· “Black Ink Crew” is seeing strong season-over-season growth. Through 11 episodes, season two is averaging a 1.3 Adults 18-49 L+SD, up +18% over the season one average. Black Ink Crew has been the #1 non-sports destination in ad-supported cable in its time period over its ten week-to-date season for Adults 18-49 and Women 18-49.
Additional ratings highlights for the year:
The October 21 premiere of the VH1 Original Movie “CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story” was the network’s highest rated telecast on VH1 in over five years – and the #1 cable original movie of the year among Adults and Women 18-49. The biopic is also VH1’s highest rated original movie ever. The debut scored a 2.9 in the key P18-49 demo and brought in 4.5 million total viewers. The film also averaged a 5.5 rating in the Women 18-34 demo.
VH1 programming dominated social media in 2013, trending on Twitter throughout the year. In fact, VH1’s Monday night series have been among the top trenders EVERY Monday in January 2013:
- “Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta” was consistently Monday's top tweeted show on cable, excluding sports, from April 22 to August 12, according to Nielsen SocialGuide. On its premiere on April 22, the series was the #1 tweeted show out of ALL PROGRAMS that night.
- Including new scripted hit series "Hit the Floor," VH1 consistently had two of the top five most tweeted shows on Mondays on cable, excluding ports, from May 27 to July 29.
- On October 21, VH1 Original Movie "CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story" was the day's most tweeted telecast with over 1.9 Million Tweets, which were seen by over 4.8 Million people, and four times greater than that of the next closest program, “ .” In fact, 55 percent of all tweets about TV were about #CrazySexyCool. Each person in the Twitter TV Audience saw on average 20 Tweets about the TLC special -- the highest Average Frequency for any telecast that day.
VH1 delivers the ultimate mash-up of music, pop culture and nostalgia for adults who still want to have fun. VH1 is available in 99 million households in the U.S. VH1 also has an array of digital channels and services including VH1 Classic, VH1 Soul, VH1 Mobile and VH1.com and @VH1, the hub for all things music and pop culture. VH1 is a unit of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms. For more information, go to www.vh1press.com, VH1.com, or the VH1 Facebook page. Follow us on Twitter @VH1PR.