via press release:
ANIMAL PLANET WINS ITS BEST YEAR EVER!
- Network Boasts Most Successful Year in Prime and Total Day -
- Animal Planet Ranks #16 in Cable for M25-54 -
- MERMAIDS: THE NEW EVIDENCE Drowns Out Competition, Luring 3.6 Million Viewers -
(Silver Spring, Md., December 31, 2013) - In 2013, Animal Planet achieved its best year ever in both prime and total day among P2+ (711K, 457K), HH (510K, 351K), P25-54 (310K, 191K), P18-49 (287K, 185K) and M18-49 (149K, 93K). The network also reeled in its most-watched year in prime with M25-54 (162K) and W18-49 (138K).
Animal Planet ranked #16 among all ad-supported cable networks in 2013 based on key M25-54 delivery.
Ten programs delivered or surpassed 1M P2+ viewers in 2013, including MERMAIDS: THE NEW EVIDENCE (3.6M), PUPPY BOWL IX (2.6M), RIVER MONSTERS (1.8M), TREEHOUSE MASTERS (1.3M), CALL OF THE WILDMAN (1.1M), GATOR BOYS (1.1M), FINDING BIGFOOT (1.1M), WILD WEST ALASKA (1M), PIT BULLS & PAROLEES (1M) and TANKED (1M).
Most notably, the following programs broke records in 2013:
· MERMAIDS: THE NEW EVIDENCE: The follow-up to 2012's highly popular MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND, MERMAIDS: THE NEW EVIDENCE ranked as Animal Planet's most-watched telecast of all time, delivering 3.6M total viewers. Excluding sports, the special was the #1-rated telecast in all of ad-supported cable among P25-54 during the week of May 20, 2013.
· PUPPY BOWL IX: Just a year shy of its 10th anniversary milestone, PUPPY BOWL IX barked up 2.6M P2+ viewers - its highest yet. It ranked #1 in the time slot for all of cable with P/W 25-54.
· RIVER MONSTERS: Animal Planet's most-watched series ever continued to uphold its title in 2013, hooking 1.8M P2+ viewers this past season with a record high telecast of 2.2M P2+ viewers.
· TREEHOUSE MASTERS: This freshman series raked in 1.3M P2+ viewers across its premieres and was the network's second-most-watched series in 2013.
· MONSTER WEEK: In its second year, Monster Week scared up 1.2M P2+ viewers - a new delivery high.
Animal Planet Media (APM), a multi-media business unit of Discovery Communications, is the world's only entertainment brand that immerses viewers in the full range of life in the animal kingdom with rich, deep content via multiple platforms and offers animal lovers and pet owners access to a centralized online, television and mobile community for immersive, engaging, high-quality entertainment, information and enrichment. APM consists of the Animal Planet television network, available in more than 96 million homes in the US; online assets www.animalplanet.com, the ultimate online destination for all things animal; the 24/7 broadband channel, Animal Planet Beyond; and other media platforms including a robust Video-on-Demand (VOD) service; mobile content; and merchandising extensions.