via press release:
NBC’SIS PRIMETIME TV’S NO. 1 SHOW FOR 4TH CONSECUTIVE FALL SEASON & AIMS FOR THREE-PEAT FOR FULL PRIMETIME TV SEASON
Eagles-Cowboys Week 17 “NFC East Championship Game” on SNF Is Most-Watched Primetime Game of Season Averaging 27.4 Million Viewers
NBC Primetime-Record 6 NFL Telecasts Top 25 Million Viewers in ‘13 – First Fall Primetime Show with 6 Episodes to Post 25 Million since ‘05
SNF No. 1 in Primetime in Viewership, Rating, All Men & Adult Demos and Women 18-34 and 18-49
SNF Wins Adult 18-49 Demo for 6th Consecutive Fall Season
SNF Wins Women 18-49 Demo in Fall Season – First Time Ever For NFL Primetime Package
Record 225 Million Minutes Live Streamed Via NBC Sports Live Extra – Up 79% from ’12
STAMFORD, Conn. – Dec. 31, 2013 – For the fourth consecutive fall TV season, NBC’sis the No. 1 show in primetime (persons 2+ and all key adult and male demos based on Nielsen live plus same day data). This also marks the sixth consecutive fall TV season that SNF ranks No. 1 among Adults 18-49.
For the past two years,ranked as the No. 1 show for the entire primetime television season (September-May, based on Nielsen live plus same day data), and it is on pace to achieve that milestone for a third year in a row.
SNF ranked No. 1 among Women 18-49 -- the first time ever that the NFL primetime package won the fall TV season in the demo. In addition, SNF topped Women 18-34 for the third year in row.
Highlights from the 2013season:
- NBC averaged 21.7 million viewers for its 19 NFL telecasts, marking the fourth consecutive season with an average of 21+ million viewers – the first such four-year stretch for the NFL primetime package since 1993-96 (ABC’s ).
- This season’s average is also the second-best in NBC’s eight years televising the NFL’s broadcast primetime package (21.8 million in 2010) and is up from 21.4 million last season.
- This year’s second-best primetime viewership average comes in a season in which eight NBC games were decided by 15-or-more points – up from five such contests last year and tied for the most (2006) in eight years of SNF on NBC.
- Football Night in America (7:30-8:22 p.m. ET) continues to rank as the most-watched NFL pregame show with an average of 8.0 million viewers – up 3% from last season.
WEEK 17 “WIN-AND-IN” DRAWS SEASON’S TOP PRIMETIME VIEWERSHIP: Last week’s “win-and-in” NBCgame for the NFC East title, featuring the Philadelphia Eagles’ down-to-the-wire 24-22 victory over the Dallas Cowboys (8:31-11:24 p.m. ET) was the most-watched primetime game in 2013 averaging 27.4 million viewers and also posted the week’s highest primetime (15.5/25) and Adult 18-49 rating (9.3).
SNF: NO. 1 PRIMETIME PROGRAM FOR SEASON: For the primetime television season (9/23/13-12/29/13), Sunday Night Football ranks as the most-watched show (persons 2+), the highest-rated show, and the No. 1 program across the key demographics of Adults 18-49, 18-34, 25-54 as well as Men 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54 and Women 18-34 and 18-49.
SNF AVERAGE (P2+) VIEWERSHIP RANK AMONG PRIMETIME SHOWS:
|Fall TV Season||Full TV Season|
|2013, No. 1 Show||1st (Through 12/29/13)|
|2012, No. 1 Show||1st|
|2011, No. 1 Show||1st|
|2010, No. 1 Show||3rd|
|2009, No. 2 Show||4th|
|2008, No. 5 Show||8th|
|2007, No. 7 Show||8th|
|2006, No. 7 Show||9th|
(Based on Live Plus Same Day data from The Nielsen Company)
SNF FINAL AVERAGE VIEWERSHIP: Sunday Night Football averaged 21.7 million viewers for the 2013 season, up from last year’s season average of 21.4 million.
- In addition, the final average household rating of 12.8/21 (19 games) is on pace with the last three seasons of Sunday Night Football despite eight games decided by 15-or-more points.
SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL ON NBC -- FULL SEASON:
|YEAR||VIEWERS 2+||HH RATING/SHARE|
NBC NFL GAMES PRODUCE 12 MOST-WATCHED PRIMETIME SHOWS THIS FALL: NBC NFL telecasts rank as the 12 most-watched primetime shows since Sept. 1, including:
- The first consecutive primetime games in 20 seasons to post at least 26.5 million average viewers (not including NFL Kickoff games) with 26.9 million viewers for Kansas City-Denver on Nov. 17 and 26.5 million viewers for Denver-New England on Nov. 24.
- The most-watched October NFL primetime telecast in 21 years and the most-watched October primetime telecast of any kind since 2005 for Broncos-Colts featuring Peyton Manning’s return to Indianapolis on Oct. 20 (26.9 million viewers).
Most-Watched Primetime Shows (Sept. 1-Dec. 29, 2013)
|Show, Date||Average Viewers|
|Sunday Night Football (Eagles-Cowboys), 12/29||27.4 million|
|Sunday Night Football (Chiefs-Broncos), 11/17||26.9 million|
|Sunday Night Football (Broncos-Colts), 10/20||26.9 million|
|Sunday Night Football (Broncos-Patriots), 11/24||26.5 million|
|Sunday Night Football (Giants-Cowboys), 9/8||25.4 million|
|Sunday Night Football (Ravens-Broncos), 9/5||25.1 million|
|Sunday Night Football (Redskins-Cowboys), 10/13||22.1 million|
|Sunday Night Football (Steelers-Ravens), 11/28||21.1 million|
|Sunday Night Football (Cowboys-Saints), 11/10||21.1 million|
|Sunday Night Football (49ers-Seahawks), 9/15||20.5 million|
|Sunday Night Football (Bears-Steelers), 9/22||20.5 million|
|Sunday Night Football (Patriots-Falcons), 9/29||20.5 million|
Source: The Nielsen Company (live plus same day data)
RECORD 6 NBC PRIMETIME GAMES WITH 25 MILLION-OR-MORE VIEWERS: This season, six NBC NFL telecasts averaged at least 25 million viewers – the most in a season since the SNF package debuted on NBC in 2006 and surpassing the combined total of the 2011 and 2012 seasons. This also marks the first time since 2005 that any fall primetime show had six episodes topping 25 million viewers in the Sept. 1-Dec. 31 time period (and ).
SNF GAMES WITH MORE THAN 25 MILLION VIEWERS PER SEASON:
2013 – 6
2012 – 2
2011 – 3
2010 – 4
2009 – 0
2008 – 0
2007 – 0
2006 – 0
SNF WINS WITH WOMEN: Sunday Night Football ranks No. 1 in primetime in the Women 18-34 and 18-49 demographics. In addition, SNF tied for No. 2 within the Women 25-54 demographic behind only . Additionally:
- SNF’s No. 1 rank among Women 18-49 marks the first time ever that the NFL primetime package won the fall TV season in the demo (dates to People Meter debut in 1987). In addition, the 5.6 rating in the demo is the best ever for SNF.
- This is the third consecutive season that SNF won the fall primetime TV season in the Women 18-34 demographic.
- SNF scored its best-ever rating (6.3) in the Women 25-54 demo.
SNF VIEWERSHIP UP 31% FROM FIVE YEARS AGO: The 21.7 million average viewership for NBC’s NFL telecasts this season is up 31% from five years ago, when the NBC package averaged 16.6 million viewers. No other primetime show with an average viewership of more than 10 million in 2008 has increased by that much.
SNF SETS STREAMING RECORDS: The 2013 Sunday Night Football slate delivered a record 225 million minutes of consumption – a 79% increase from last season – through NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product. The 225 million minutes of consumption also topped the combined total of NBC’s 2012 regular season plus two Wild Card Playoff games and the 2013 Pro Bowl.
In addition, Sunday Night Football on NBC Sports Live Extra averaged a record 50.0 minutes per visit – up 9% from 2012.
SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL TOP 30 METERED MARKETS – FULL 2013 SEASON:
|1. New Orleans||23.7/33|
|5. Las Vegas||18.3/29|
|T10. Kansas City||16.7/27|
|T12. Washington D.C.||16.4/30|
|14. San Diego||16.2/29|
|24. San Antonio||14.1/23|
Follow NBC Sports PR on Twitter @NBCSportsPR
Follow “Sunday Night Football” on Twitter @SNFonNBC
Follow NBC SportsTalk on Twitter @NBCSports