NBCSN Posts Record April Viewership Bolstered by NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs & Premier League
via press release:
NBCSN POSTS RECORD APRIL VIEWERSHIP BOLSTERED BY NHL STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS, PREMIER LEAGUE, FORMULA ONE & INDYCAR
NBCSN April Total Day Viewership up 126% vs. 2013
Year-to-Date NBCSN Total Day Viewership up 208% vs. Last Year
NBCSN Tops All Cable Networks in Total Day Viewership Increase vs. April 2013
NBCSN Notches 8th Consecutive Month of Year-over-Year Viewership Increase
STAMFORD, Conn. — April 30, 2014 – Buoyed by the first round of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, a full slate of Premier League matches, and four combined Formula One and IndyCar races, NBCSN in April averaged 165,000 Total Day viewers (6 a.m.-6 a.m.) – marking the most-watched April in the network’s history, according to live plus same day data released by The Nielsen Company.
NBCSN’s April (March 31-April 27) Total Day viewership jumped 126% vs. last April (73,000) – ranking No. 1 among all cable networks in year-over-year April increase.
In key demographics, NBCSN’s April Total Day growth among Adults 18-49 (up 146%) and Adults 25-54 (up 148%) also topped all cable networks for the month.
- Year-to-date, NBCSN’s Total Day performance (203,000 viewers) is up 208% from last year at this point (66,000). Excluding the Olympic Winter Games, NBCSN’s year-to-date Total Day viewership (119,000) is up 80% from 2013.
- April marks the eighth consecutive month that NBCSN has increased Total Day viewership from the prior year.
- Chelsea’s 2-0 victory over Liverpool – in a first-place v second-place matchup — on April 27 averaged 940,000 viewers and ranks as the most-watched early (pre-10 a.m. ET kickoff) Premier League match ever in the U.S., and the third most-watched game ever on cable.
- In the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Columbus’ thrilling 4-3 double overtime victory over Pittsburgh in Game 2 (April 19) posted 850,000 viewers, ranking as NBCSN’s most-watched game in the first week of the playoffs on record.
- The Bahrain Grand Prix (April 6) delivered 594,000 viewers, marking both NBSCN’s most watched F1 race to date and the most watched non-domestic race on cable since the 2011 Monaco Grand Prix.
IndyCar from Alabama was the most-watched Alabama race ever on NBCSN, and the most-watched IndyCar race on NBCSN since Long Beach in 2012 (4/15/12; 468,000). The rain-delayed race averaged 400,000 viewers, up 58% from the same race last year (4/7/13).NBC Sports Group continues its Championship Season in May, highlighted by the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, Triple Crown horse racing, The Players Championship, the conclusion of the Premier League season, including Championship Sunday on May 11, French Open, and Formula One and IndyCar racing.