via press release:
NBC’S “SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL” IS PRIMETIME TELEVISION’S NO. 1 SHOW FOR THIRD CONSECUTIVE TV SEASON
SNF No. 1 in Broadcast Primetime in Viewership, HH Rating, All Men & Adult Demos and Women 18-34 and 18-49
SNF Wins Adult 18-49 Demo for 4th Consecutive TV Season
STAMFORD, Conn. – May 22, 2014 – NBC’s Sunday Night Football finished the 2013-14 television season as the No. 1 show in primetime in household rating, viewership and the coveted Adult 18-49 demographic, based on live plus same day data from The Nielsen Company (September-May).
This marks the third consecutive television season -- and the only three times on record -- that a sports series has been the highest-rated and most-watched show of the primetime TV season.
For the 2013-2014 primetime television season, Sunday Night Football ranks as the highest-rated (12.8), most-watched show (21.7 million, viewers 2+), and the No. 1 broadcast program across the key demographics of Adults 18-49, 18-34, 25-54 as well as Men 18-49, 18-34 and 25-54 and Women 18-34 and 18-49.
In addition, 12 SNF games averaged at least 20 million viewers, tying NBC’s Sochi Winter Olympics for most primetime telecasts with 20 million viewers (not including pre-/post-shows).
Following is a look at primetime telecasts averaging at least 20 million viewers from Sept. 5, 2013-May 21, 2014 (based on live plus same day data):
|Program||# of Primetime Telecasts With 20 Million Viewers|
|Sunday Night Football||12|
|Sochi Winter Olympics||12|
|NFL Postseason Games*||4 (1 on NBC)|
|Big Bang Theory||2|
|New Girl (post-Super Bowl)||1|
|Golden Globe Awards||1|
|BCS Championship Game||1|
|NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship||1|
*Four NFL postseason games in primetime: Super Bowl XLVIII, NFC Championship Game, AFC Divisional Playoff, NFC Wild Card Playoff
Also notable from the 2013-14 TV season (based on live plus same day data):
- The 21.7 million average viewers for Sunday Night Football tops second place NCIS (16.9 million) by nearly five million viewers;
- The 2010-13 seasons of Sunday Night Football are the first four seasons that an NFL primetime package drew more than 21 million viewers since the 1993-1996 seasons of Monday Night Football on ABC;
- In the advertiser-coveted Adult 18-49 demographic, Sunday Night Football ranks as the No. 1 show for the fourth consecutive TV season and tops the second place show by 18% (8.0 vs. 6.8 for The Walking Dead);
- Sunday Night Football’s win in the Women 18-49 demographic marks the first time ever that a sports series has ranked No. 1 among the broadcast networks in this category for a full TV season. This is the second consecutive season that SNF finished No. 1 among the broadcast networks among Women 18-34 (tied with The Voice for No. 1 last season).
While final live plus seven data for the broadcast TV season will not be available for a few weeks, according to Nielsen’s most current data stream (with live plus seven through May 4), Sunday Night Football leads the No. 2 primetime show in the following metrics:
- Average Viewership – Sunday Night Football averaged 21.9 million viewers, nearly two million more than 20.0 million for Big Bang Theory.
- Household Rating – Sunday Night Football posted a 12.8 HH rating, topping the 12.4 for NCIS.