via press release:
NBCSN POSTS MOST-WATCHED PRIMETIME MONTH IN ITS HISTORY
Network Averages More Than 1 Million Viewers Per Night in May
NBCSN Registers Best Primetime Month Ever Among Adults 18-49
May Total Day Viewership Marks Best Non-Olympic Month Ever for NBCSN
Best May NHL Cable Viewership Since 2000
Year-to-Date NBCSN Total Day Viewership up 134% vs. Last Year
NBCSN Notches 9th Consecutive Month of Year-over-Year Viewership Increases
STAMFORD, Conn. — May 29, 2014 – Buoyed by the second and third rounds of the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, the exciting conclusion to the Premier League season, and a down-to-the wire Formula One race in the Spanish Grand Prix, NBCSN in May registered its best-ever monthly primetime performance as well as the top Total Day non-Olympic month in the network’s history.
NBCSN averaged 1.1 million primetime viewers in May (April 28-May 25) – marking the most-watched month in primetime in the network’s history and the first time nightly viewership averaged seven figures, according to live plus same day data released by The Nielsen Company.
In addition, NBCSN established its primetime monthly record for Adults 18-49 (556,000 average viewers).
For the month, NBCSN ranked second among sports cable networks in average viewership and sixth in the Adult 18-49 demo – both highs for the network.
NBCSN averaged 266,000 Total Day (6 a.m.-6 a.m.) viewers – ranking as the network’s most-watched non-Olympic month in Total Day and registering a 34% increase over last May.
- Year-to-date, NBCSN’s Total Day performance (215,000 viewers) is up 134% from last year at this point (92,000).
- Year-to-date primetime viewership on NBCSN (415,000) has increased 33% from 2013 (312,000).
- May marks the ninth consecutive month that NBCSN has increased Total Day viewership from the prior year.
- In the Stanley Cup Playoffs, six May games drew more than 1.75 million viewers – the most-ever in the month and up from five in ’13 and one in ’12. NBCSN’s most-watched game of the month, the May 14 Game 7 between the Canadiens and the Bruins, averaged 2.276 million viewers, making it the most-watched non-Stanley Cup Final game featuring a Canadian team on NBCSN.
- The combined NBCSN/CNBC average viewership for the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs for the month (1.294 million viewers) ranks as the best May on cable for the NHL postseason since 2000.
- The thrilling Spanish Grand Prix (May 11) delivered 455,000 viewers, doubling last year’s viewership for the same Formula One race (227,000).
- Eight Premier League matches plus the Liverpool-Newcastle game on “Championship Sunday” averaged 351,000 May viewers – an increase of 76% from last year’s May average on ESPN2/Fox Soccer.
NBC Sports Group continues its Championship Season in June highlighted by the NHL Stanley Cup Final, U.S. Open golf, Belmont Stakes highlighted by California Chrome’s run to become the first Triple Crown winner in 36 years, French Open, and Formula One and IndyCar racing.