Mexico vs. Ecuador Friendly on Univision Network Outperforms UEFA Champions League Final on FOX
via press release:
MEXICO VS. ECUADOR FRIENDLY ON UNIVISION NETWORK OUTPERFORMS UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ON FOX
The Match Reaches 4 Million Viewers, Outdelivering NHL Playoffs and MLB
- Univision’s broadcast of the international friendly match, Mexico vs. Ecuador, which aired from 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. on May 31, 2014, delivered an average of 2.3 million Total Viewers and 1.3 million Adults 18-49, outperforming the UEFA Champions League final on FOX by +20% among Total Viewers and +18% among Adults 18-49.
- The match reached 4.3 million Total Viewers who tuned into all or part of the broadcast.
- Univision’s broadcast delivered more viewers than 82 out of 84 National Hockey League (NHL) playoff games airing on NBC, NBCSN and CNBC among Adults 18-49 in the 2014 playoffs to-date.
- Univision’s broadcast also delivered more viewers than every Major League Baseball (MLB) regular season game airing on FOX, ESPN, ESPN2, and MLB Network in the 2014 season-to-date among Adults 18-49.
- On social, the friendly on Univision was also the No. 1 broadcast show of the day in terms of Twitter activity, with the highest number of unique authors, Tweets and Tweets per unique author of any other show, regardless of language. Additionally, in terms of Twitter activity and engagement, the match on Univision beat the MLB match between Pittsburgh Pirates vs. Los Angeles Dodgers on FOX, as well as the PGA Golf Tour on CBS. During the day of the match, Univision was the No. 2 broadcast network in terms of Twitter activity and engagement, regardless of language, beating CBS, ABC, and NBC. (Source: Nielsen)
- The match also generated heavy digital tune-in with Univision Digital’s World Cup section setting a new World Cup 2014 launch-to-date record for both daily page views (3.3 million) and daily video views (381k), bringing the World Cup 2014 since launch totals to 22M+ page views and 2.5M video views.
o The México vs. Ecuador: Terrible lesión de Luis Montes video, a clip from the game, has driven 223k video views, positioning itself as the top performing World Cup 2014 video launch-to-date.
Source: The Nielsen Company, Fast Nationals, NPM, L+SD data, match aired 5/31/14, 3:00p-5:00p on Univision/UDN. NHL Playoffs airing from 4/16/14-5/29/14. MLB regular season airing from 3/22/14-5/25/14. Adobe Site Catalyst, World Cup launch-to-date: April 1 – Jun 1 2014, Responsive Site + Mobile Web + Deportes App Suites, US + PR traffic only.
- Regardless of language, Univision was the highest rated broadcast station during the Mexico vs. Ecuador friendly (3:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. ET) among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles, New York, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco and Phoenix; Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco and Phoenix.
- During the Mexico vs. Ecuador match (3:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. ET), Univision stations had higher viewership than the ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX stations combined among Total Viewers in Los Angeles, New York, Dallas and Phoenix; Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles, New York, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco and Phoenix; and Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco and Phoenix.
Source: The Nielsen Company, NSI, (05/31/14), 3:00p.m.-5:00p.m ET (match time). Live game across time zones. Live +SD.