via press notes:
2013-14 September-to-May Season Results, L+7:
- NBC has won the 2013-14 primetime television season in adults 18-49, its first season-long win in 10 years, with the biggest season-to-season gain, +17%, for any Big 4 network in 22 years. NBC scored a 2.8 for the season, the network's highest average in five years, according to "live plus seven day" viewing data from Nielsen Media Research for the traditional September-to-May season.
- (Note the when the season ended May 21, NBC’s “most current” increase versus last season stood at +13%, 2.7 vs. 2.4.)
- NBC is up +17% versus its year-ago rating (to a 2.8 from a 2.4), the biggest season-to-season increase for NBC in the 26-year history of Nielsen’s People Meter sample, and biggest for any Big 4 network in 22 years (since Fox grew by +24% in 1991-92 vs. 1990-91).
- Though benefiting this season from February’s coverage of the Sochi Olympics, NBC is still generating the season’s #1 adult 18-49 audience, topping -boosted Fox, even when NBC's 18 nights of Sochi coverage are excluded from its season averages (3.225 million adults 18-49 with Olympic nights excluded vs. Fox’s 3.160 million). Also, even when all sports programming is excluded, NBC finishes within a tenth of a point of #1 and is the only network up versus last season (with a 2.2 average in 18-49, excluding sports, up +10% versus last season).
- The last time NBC carried a Winter Olympics, four years, ago, the network finished tied for #3 and a full 1.0 rating point out of first place.
- NBC finished #1 on four of the seven nights of the week, the most for NBC in 12 years (since winning five nights, including a tie, in 2001-02).
- In total viewers, NBC is #2 for the season (with or without the 18 nights of the Sochi Olympic counted in NBC’s average), marking the first time since the 2003-04 season that NBC has finished higher than #4 in total viewers.
- In total viewers, NBC is up +33% (9.4 million vs. 7.1 million), the network’s biggest season-to-season increase in People Meter history and biggest for any Big 4 net in 25 years (since Fox grew by +46% in total viewers in 1988-89).
NBC finished the season #1 among ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox in:
- Adults 18-49.
- Adults 25-54.
- Adults 18-34 (tied with Fox).
- All key adult-female demos.
- Men 18-49 (tied with Fox).
- Men 25-54.
· Looking at regular-program 18-49 averages this season vs. last in 18-49:
o Mondays are up +10%
o Tuesdays are up +14%
o Wednesdays are up +15%
o Thursdays are down -6%
o Fridays are up +20%
o Saturdays are up +14%
o Sundays are up +2%
· Monday is the top-rated regular schedule on any broadcast net in 18-49 (excluding NBC’s Sundays during football season) and Tuesday is a close #3 behind CBS’s Thursday.
· In adults 18-49 among the broadcast networks, NBC’s schedule features:
· The #1 show overall, “ .”
· The #1 reality show and tied for #2 entertainment series, “ .”
· The #1 new series and #2 drama, “ ” (#1 drama counting only originals)
· The #1 Friday series, “ .”
Adults 18-49, L+7
Net… STD ’12-13… STD ’13-14…Diff
Total Viewers, L+7
Net… STD ’12-13… STD ’13-14…Diff
NBC…7.070 million …9.368 million…Up 33%
CBS…11.929 million…10.800 million… Down 9%
ABC…7.990 million …7.729 million…Down 3%
Fox…7.086 million …7.428 million…Up 5%