DISCOVERY NETWORKS INTERNATIONAL BREAKS RECORDS WITH BIGGEST QUARTER IN ITS HISTORY
-- Q2 2014 Logged Record Viewing and Digital Audience Internationally in DNI’s 25th Anniversary Year --
- DNI reached 621 million viewers in Q2 (+3% YOY)
- DNI recorded its highest ever average audience (+9% YOY)
- Q2 delivered highest ever digital audience for DNI websites (+45% YOY) and social platforms (+250% YOY)
London, UK: Discovery Networks International, a division of Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), the world’s number one pay-TV programmer, today announced its biggest ever quarter. With record viewing levels and online growth internationally, DNI reached an enormous 621 million viewers around the world (+3% YOY). DNI continues to enjoy exponential growth in its 25th year – charting its highest ever average audience (+9% YOY) and delivering its highest ever digital audience for its websites (+45% YOY) and social platforms (+250% YOY).
JB Perrette, President, Discovery Networks International, remarked: “This outstanding performance is testament to the strength of our global business. Once again we’re raising the bar in the international content space on-air and online. Our unwavering commitment to being the world’s best storyteller; our much-loved global brands which inspire loyalty the world over; and our unparalleled platform which spans more than 220 countries and territories – underpinned by the phenomenal talent we have in the business - have brought us to yet another incredible milestone for our company.”
Record viewing levels
- Despite stiff competition from the FIFA World Cup as a must-see television event in many markets, DNI’s portfolio reached 621 million viewers around the world (+3% YOY) - with flagship network Discovery Channel reaching 366 million viewers, and Animal Planet and TLC reaching 252 million and 204 million respectively
- DNI reached a new record average audience of 2.9M viewers (+9% YOY), supported by a stand-out quarter for Discovery Kids which experienced +33% growth fuelled by key markets such as Brazil
- DNI’s free-to-air portfolio continues to flourish +12% in Western Europe overall for the quarter with records being broken in Spain for Discovery Max’s coverage of the French Open tennis final
- Double-digit growth for Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery and Discovery Home and Health
- DNI attracted 11M visitors (+45% YOY) to its websites and 38M fans (+250% YOY) to its social platforms this quarter – including sizeable growth numbers for Discovery Channel social platforms in India, Australia and South East Asia
DNI Research, Quarter 2 2014; Unique Viewer Reach for Portfolio across 34 markets, excluding US networks (Individuals 3+, 1+ min viewing qualifier), Average Day in Q2 2014; All day; National Universe. Q2 2014 vs. Q2 2013. Excluding Eurosport
DNI Research, Quarter 2 2014; Audience in Thousands for Individuals 3+, Q2 2014 vs. Q2 2013; 33 markets covered, excluding the US. All day; National Universe. Excluding Eurosport.
DNI Research, Quarter 2 2014; Audience in Thousands for Individuals 3+, Q2 2014 vs. Q2 2013; 34 markets covered, excluding the US. All day; National Universe. Excluding Eurosport.
Google Analytics, Avg monthly users Q2’14 v Q2’13
Facebook Insights and Social Bakers; Q2’14 lifetime likes as of June 30th, 2014; versus June 30th 2013
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity, engaging and entertaining viewers with high-quality content on more than 210 worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery and Science, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Discovery also controls Eurosport International, a premier sports entertainment group, including six pay-TV network brands across Europe and Asia. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education, and a digital leader with a diversified online portfolio, including Discovery Digital Networks. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.