Hats off to our polled readers, who picked The Playboy Club as the first rookie show cancellation of the season.
Can they go 2 for 2?
Because comment thread lawyers abound, let’s be clear that for the purposes of this poll “canceled” means removed from its initially scheduled timeslot, either off the air entirely or rescheduled to another timeslot, even if the network *claims* the show will return later (last season those who answered The Whole Truth in this “next to be canceled” poll ended up being correct, it was removed first among the shows noted and never returned, despite ABC claims otherwise).
Here’s a little handicapping information:
- I’ve included new unscripted shows in the poll below, but an unscripted show hasn’t been canceled first since we began the site four years ago (if ever).
- CBS had for three years running canceled a drama just before November sweeps, but last season they held on to all their new dramas for the entire season (before canceling their typical number in May).
- Fox pulled the trigger first last year with Lone Star after two airings.
- On casual inspection, ABC seems to have the most shows waiting for mid-season that could be pulled into the schedule early, but my information could be misleading because I have no idea how “ready” those shows really are.
- ABC on a number of occasions pulled shows to be canceled quickly and slotted Primetime or 20/20 specials in their slots last season.
- I have removed New Girl, Whitney & Up All Night since they have been given full season orders. If you *still* think one of them may be next, feel free to use the comments.
My confusion over the premiere date of Grimm is in the past, and several week’s of data now point me to either ABC Charlie’s Angels or NBC’s Free Agents. Charlie’s Angels isn’t doing as badly, but depending on what NBC has in the bullpen a half hour sitcom like Free Agents may be harder to replace.
That, plus the fact that if NBC were going to cancel Free Agents I think they might have done it today along with The Playboy Club has me leaning towards Charlie’s Angels.
What’s your guess?