via press release:
With its lineup of Nightline and Jimmy Kimmel Live during the week of February 27, 2012, ABC was up over the prior week by 8% in Total Viewers and was the only broadcaster in late-night to grow its overall audience week to week. In addition, ABC grew by 10% over the prior week in Adults 18-49 to deliver its best young adult number in late-night in 6 weeks – since the week of 1/16/12. ABC was also the only broadcaster in late-night to grow its overall audience (+1%) over the year-ago week (w/o 2/28/11), as CBS was down -9% and NBC was down -5%. ABC outperformed NBC during the week in late-night in both Total Viewers (+1%) and Adults 18-49 (+6%).
For the week, ABC’s Nightline ranked as the #1 program in late-night across all target demos: Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 and Adults 18-49. In fact, the ABC program has taken the top spot for the 2nd time in the last 3 weeks in all 3 measures. Nightline improved on the year-ago week in Total Viewers (+8%), Adults 25-54 (+1%) and Adults 18-49 (+4%), standing as the only program to grow year to year versus NBC’s The Tonight Show (-3%, -5% and -1%, respectively) and CBS’ The Late Show (-1%, -4% and -7%, respectively). Season to date, Nightline ranks #1 in late-night among Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 and Adults 18-49, ahead of both NBC’s The Tonight Show and CBS’ The Late Show. This marks the 2nd straight year that the ABC program is taking the top spot in overall viewers and in the key adult news demo. ABC’s Nightline ranked #1 during the February 2012 sweep in Adults 25-54. In fact, it was the 2nd February in a row and the 5th time in the last 6 sweeps periods that Nightline led in the key adult news demo. Nightline was up over the year-ago sweep in Total Viewers, drawing its largest February sweep audience in 8 years – since 2004. Nightline outperformed CBS’ The Late Show during the month by its largest February-sweep advantages in Total Viewers (+455,000) and Adults 25-54 (+43,000) in 13 years – since 1999. Nightline outperformed NBC’s The Tonight Show in Total Viewers (+23,000) for the 2nd straight February.
During the week following its most-watched post-Oscar telecast ever, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live was up over the prior week by 10% in Total Viewers, delivering the largest week-to-week gains of any late-night broadcast talk show. JKL also grew week to week by 14% in Adults 18-49 to hit a 14-week high – since w/o 11/21/11. In addition, JKL saw its viewer count grow year to year, standing as the only late-night talk show to build its overall audience. During the week, ABC’s JKL stood as the #3 late-night talk show in Total Viewers, behind only NBC’s The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and CBS’ The Late Show with David Letterman. ABC’s JKL (M-F 12am) led NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (M-F 12:35 am) by 5% in Total Viewers and by 4% Adults 18-49. ABC’s JKL (M-F 12am) outperformed CBS’ The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (M-F 12:35am) by double-digit margins in both Total Viewers (+12%) and Adults 18-49 (+11%), marking the 18th time in the 24 weeks of the season for the ABC late-night program to beat the CBS program in both Nielsen measures. In fact, JKL has drawn a larger overall audience than Ferguson in 23 of 24 weeks this season. Season to date, JKL is building its overall audience through the same weeks last year by 3% in Total Viewers, growing the most year to year of any late-night broadcast talk show. During the recently completed February 2012 sweep, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live grew its overall audience from the year-ago sweep (+2%) to generate its most-watched February sweep in 5 years – since 2007. The ABC late-night program has grown year over year for the 7th time in the last 8 sweep periods. ABC’s JKL topped CBS’ The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in both Total Viewers (+8%) and Adults 18-49 (+4%) for the 2nd sweep period in a row. In fact, JKL extended its winning streak over the CBS late-night program in overall viewers to 4 consecutive sweep periods. In addition, JKL led Ferguson in young adults for the 2nd straight February.