via press note:
During the week of May 21, 2012, which included the final 3 nights of the season leading into the Memorial Day weekend, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live jumped over the prior week by 14% in Total Viewers to draw its 3rd-largest audience of the season. In addition, JKL grew its overall audience over the year-ago week by 4%, marking the ABC program’s 7th time in the last 8 weeks to build year over year in Total Viewers. Together with Nightline, Jimmy Kimmel Live is part of ABC’s winning late-night strategy of airing news and entertainment programming.
- · ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live ranked as the #3 talk show in late-night in both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 during the week, behind only NBC’s The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and CBS’ The Late Show with David Letterman.
- · ABC’s JKL (M-F 12am) outdelivered NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (M-F 12:35am) by 16% in Total Viewers and by 6% in Adults 18-49, marking JKL’s 9th straight win over the NBC late-night program in both viewers and young adults. JKL topped Fallon on 4 of the 5 days of the week on both Nielsen measures, as a repeat telecast of JKL on Friday outperformed an original telecast of Fallon in both viewers (+10%) and young adults (+4%).
- · ABC’s JKL outperformed CBS’ The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (M-F 12:35am) by its second-best margin this season in Total Viewers (+55%), drawing a larger audience than the CBS program in 35 of the 36 weeks this season. JKL also beat Ferguson by an impressive 31% in Adults 18-49, marking the ABC program’s 11th consecutive victory over the CBS late-night program. JKL led Ferguson on all 5 days of the week in both viewers and young adults.
- · JKL’s Tuesday airing (5/22/12), which featured The Middle’s Patricia Heaton, Dancing with the Stars champions Donald Driver and Peta Murgatroyd, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Lisa Marie Presley, drew the ABC late-night program’s largest audience in 6 months – since 11/22/11. In fact, the Tuesday telecast stands as JKL’s 2nd-most-watched telecast this season.
During the recently completed 2012 May Sweep, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live grew over the year-ago sweep to attract its biggest-ever audience for a May sweep. The ABC late-night program saw growth over the 2012 February Sweep of 10% in Total Viewers and 2% in Adults 18-49 to stand as the only late-night broadcast talk show to post gains.
- · ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live ranked as the #3 talk show in late-night in Total Viewers during the 2012 May Sweep, behind only NBC’s The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and CBS’ The Late Show with David Letterman.
- · ABC’s JKL topped NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon by 11% in Total Viewers and by 2% in Adults 18-49, leading the NBC program in 2 of the 3 sweep periods of the season (May 2012 and November 2011). JKL also drew a larger overall audience than Fallon for the 3rd consecutive May Sweep – since 2009.
- · ABC’s JKL beat CBS’ The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson by its largest margin ever during a sweep period in both Total Viewers (+28%) and Adults 18-49 (+29%) to outperform the CBS late-night program in all 3 sweeps of the season.
For the complete 2011-12 Broadcast TV Season, ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live grew its overall audience over the prior season by 3% in Total Viewers to generate its most-watched season in 5 years – since the 2006-07 season. In fact, JKL grew for the 2nd consecutive year to deliver its 2nd-most-watched season in its 10-year history (behind only the 2006-07 season).
- · JKL was the only late-night broadcast talk show to grow year over year in Total Viewers (+3%), as NBC’s The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (-4%) and Last Call with Carson Daly (-3%) and CBS’ The Late Show with David Letterman (-10%) and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (-13%) were all down [NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon was flat].
- · ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live was the No. 3 broadcast talk show in late-night of the season in Total Viewers, outdrawing both NBC’s Fallon and CBS’ Ferguson.