The crew of “House of Cards” will go back to work in the new year.

Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos told attendees Monday at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference that production on the show will pick back up in early 2018. Filming was shut down earlier this year after allegations of sexual misconduct against star and executive producer Kevin Spacey surfaced.

Spacey was fired from the show soon after, and writers have been working on reshaping the show’s sixth and last season during the production hiatus.

Sarandos says the final season will run for eight episodes, with Robin Wright returning as the show’s lead. How Spacey’s character, Frank Underwood, will be written out hasn’t been revealed yet.

“We were really excited we could get to an agreement … for the conclusion of the show,” he says.

Sarandos also says Netflix plans to spend between $7 billion and $8 billion on original content in 2018, up from about $6 billion this year.

There’s no word on a premiere date for “House of Cards” yet. If production resumes shortly after the new year, it would probably be ready for a launch in the second half of 2018.

Posted by:Rick Porter

Rick Porter has been covering TV since the days when networks sent screeners on VHS, one of which was a teaser for the first season of "American Idol." He's left-handed, makes a very solid grilled cheese and has been editor of TV by the Numbers since October 2015. He lives in Austin.

blog comments powered by Disqus