via NBC press release:


“Today” Posts Largest Non-Olympic Total Audience Since the Week of March 3, 2008 and Matched its Biggest Lead Over GMA Since the Week of April 28, 2008

“Today” Marks Its Second Highest Inauguration Week Total Viewership Since At Least 1989

Both “Today II” and “Today III” Show Double Digit Growth Across the Board Versus Season To Date Levels

The Fourth Hour of “Today” (“Today” III) Had Its Biggest Ever Total Viewer Audience

NEW YORK – January 29, 2009 – NBC News’ “Today” dominated the competition last week as history was made with the inauguration of President Barack Obama. For the week ending January 25, more than 6.1 million total viewers tuned into “Today” – a 1.3 million (+28%) lead over GMA, and a 3.1 million (+107%) lead over “The Early Show.” “Today” posted its largest non-Olympic total audience since the week of March 3, 2008 and the second highest inauguration week total viewership since at least 1989. “Today” also matched its biggest non-Olympic and non-holiday total viewer lead over GMA since the week of April 28, 2008. This week’s win marks “Today’s” 685th consecutive week in first place.

For the week, “Today” placed first with a 4.5 household rating/15 share and more than 6.1 million viewers. “GMA” trailed with a 3.6/12 and 4.8 million viewers. CBS’ “The Early Show” remained in third place, with a 2.2/8 and 2.97 million viewers.

In rating A25-54, “Today” led GMA by 28% (5 tenths) and topped the “Early Show” by 109% (1.2 rating points). In rating A18-49, “Today” outperformed GMA by 38% (5 tenths) and Early Show by 125% (1 full rating point).

“Today” also notched increases over its STD averages in homes (+7%), total viewers(+12%), rating W/M/A18-49 (+14%/+10%/+13%), and rating W/M/A25-54(+11%/+7%/+15%). Season-to-date, “Today’s” advantages over GMA have increased in homes, total viewers, rating W/M/A18-49 and rating W/A25-54 versus the same period
last season.

This season, “Today” has now widened its lead over GMA to +22% (+1,008,000) in total viewers and +27% (+545,000) in A25-54.

“Today II” posted a 3.1/10 in homes and more than 4.1 million viewers. On Monday, “Today II” averaged 5.5 million viewers, the program’s biggest single day audience since May 31, 2006.

“Today II” outperformed CBS Early Show in homes (+41%), total viewers (+38%), A18-49 (+25%) and A25-54 (+18%). “Today II” also beat “The View” in M18-49 (+20%) and M25-54 (+14%). Week-to-week, “Today II” increased in homes (+3%), total viewers (+5%), W/M/A18-49 (+8%/+20%/+11%) and W/A25-54 (+6%/+8%).

“Today” II posted double-digit across the board gains versus STD levels in homes (+19%), total viewers (+22%), rating W/M/A18-49 (+17%/+20%/+25%), and rating W/M/A25-54(+21%/+14%/+30%).

For the week, “Today III” delivered 2.6 million viewers and a 2.0/6 share in homes. “Today III” posted its biggest ever non-holiday audiences in total viewers, rating W/A18-49 and rating W/A25-54. Compared to the prior week, “Today III” grew in homes
(+18%), total viewers (+21% or +178,000), rating W/A18-49 (+25%/+17%), and rating W/A25-54 (+20%/+13%).

Versus STD levels, “Today III” was up double digits across the board in homes (+33%), total viewers (+37%), rating W/M/A18-49 (+43%/+33%/+40%), and rating W/M/A25-54 (+33%/+25%/+50%).

Please note: All three morning news programs were labeled as specials on Monday for the MLK holiday. Additionally, “Today” and “The Early Show” were labeled as low coverage breakouts on Tuesday while GMA had a shorter rated duration during the Inauguration coverage.

Jim Bell is the executive producer of “Today” (Monday – Friday, 7-11 a.m.).

Posted by:TV By The Numbers

blog comments powered by Disqus