via NBC press release:

“Today” Posts Its Biggest Total Viewer Delivery Since the Week of April 28, Excluding the Beijing Olympics and Holiday Weeks

Season-to-Date, “Today” Has Increased Its Advantages Over GMA in Total Viewers, Homes, and Key Demos

NEW YORK – February 12, 2009 – NBC News’ “Today” continues as the dominant morning news program topping the competition in all categories. For the week ending February 8, “Today” was No. 1 with nearly 6.1 million total viewers – a 1.4 million (+29%) lead over GMA, and a more than 2.9 million (+92%) lead over “The Early Show.” Excluding the Beijing Olympics and holiday weeks, this was “Today’s” biggest total viewer lead since the week of April 28, 2008. This week’s win marks “Today’s” 687th consecutive week in first place.

“Today” was the only morning news program to post gains in homes, total viewers and rating W18-49 over the prior week. Week-to-week, “Today” increased deliveries in homes (+2%), total viewers (+3%), rating W18-49 (+5%) and rating M25-54 (+7%). Season-to-date, “Today’s” advantages over GMA have increased in homes, total viewers, rating W/M/A18-49 and rating W/A25-54 versus the same period last season.

For the week, “Today” led with a 4.6 household rating/16 share and nearly 6.1 million viewers. “GMA” was second with a 3.5/12 and 4.7 million viewers. CBS’ “The Early Show” placed third, with a 2.4/8 and nearly 3.2 million viewers.

In rating A25-54, “Today” led GMA by 29% (5 tenths) and topped the “Early Show” by 100% (1.1 rating points). In rating A18-49, “Today” outperformed GMA by 31% (4 tenths) and Early Show by 89% (8 tenths).

“Today II” posted a 2.9/10 in homes and nearly 3.8 million viewers “Today II” outperformed CBS Early Show in homes (+21%), total viewers (+19%), rating W18-49 (+9%) and rating W25-54 (+7%). “Today II” also beat “The View” in M18-49 (+20%) and M25-54 (+14%). Versus the same week last season, “Today II” increased in total viewers (+4%). “Today II” also posted gains versus season to date levels in homes (+12%), total viewers (+9%), rating M/A18-49 (+20%/+13%) and rating W/M25-54 (+7%/+14%).

For the week, “Today III” delivered a 1.5/6 in homes and 1.9 million viewers. Season-to-date, “Today III” is up in rating W18-49 (+14%).

On its digital platforms, “Today” continued its strong performance during the week ending February 7 with more than 5.7 million online streams. had a record 7.3 million unique visitors in January, according to Nielsen NetView.’s stories, blog, message boards and live votes were also popular with users.

Posted by:TV By The Numbers

blog comments powered by Disqus