via press release:
ABC Ranks No. 2 to Fox in the 2012 May Sweep in Adults 18-49, Claiming 3 of the
Top 10 Shows, with the No. 1 Comedy, the No. 1 Drama and the No. 1 New Show
ABC is the Only Net Up this Season in the Monday-Friday 10pm Hour in Adults 25-54
The Net Marks Big Year-Over-Year Gains with Key Returning Series and New Series
ABC Delivers 9 of the Season’s Top 25 Series with High-Income Young Adults
ABC is Home to the Top 2 TV Shows on the Major Nets for “Family Coviewing”
2012 May Sweep (4/26-5/23/12 – 28 Nights Complete)
ABC (2.1/6) took second place during the 2012 May Sweep among Adults 18-49 to an “Idol”-fueled Fox, beating CBS by 5% (2.0/6) and dominating 4th-place NBC by 31% (1.6/5). It was the 3rd straight year and the 5th time in 6 years for ABC to post the No. 2 position in May in the key young adult sales demo. In addition, the Network ranked No. 1 for the month with Women 18-49.
- Highest-Rated Series in May (Most Current): ABC aired 3 of the Top 10 TV series during May 2012 with Adults 18-49, including the No. 1 scripted show/comedy (“Modern Family”), the No. 1 drama (“Grey’s Anatomy”) and the No. 1 freshman series (“Once Upon a Time”). In addition, ABC’s “Modern Family” qualified as May’s No. 1 TV show with Adults 18-34. ABC’s “DWTS” was the 3rd-most-watched show overall for the month, behind only “NCIS” and “Idol-Wed,” respectively.
2010-11 TV Season (9/19/11-5/23/12)
- ABC is the No. 2 Net with Viewers, Adults 18-34 and Key Women in the Non-Sports Averages: Based on non-sports programming (to account for the inflated averages from professional and college sports coverage), ABC was the season’s No. 2 TV network in Total Viewers, Adults 18-34 and across all key Women.
- ABC Beats NBC by 20% in the Non-Sport Adults 18-49 Averages and Leads by 4% Excluding the Super Bowl: In the non-sports averages, ABC overpowered an NFL-driven NBC by 20% in Adults 18-49 (2.4/7 vs. 2.0/6). And excluding just the Super Bowl, NBC’s season average dropped 2-tenths of a rating point, putting NBC -4% behind ABC for the season (2.4/7 vs. 2.3/6). In fact, ABC beat NBC on each of the final 10 complete weeks this season.
- ABC is the Only Net Up in the 10pm Hour in the Key News Demo: On Monday-Friday from 10:00-11:00 p.m. as a lead-in to affiliates’ late-local news, ABC delivered solid year-to-year improvement in Total Viewers (+6%), Adults 18-49 (+4%) and Adults 25-54 (+7%). In fact, ABC was the only net to grow in Total Viewers and Adults 25-54.
- ABC’s Scores Strong Gains Over Last Season with Returning and New Shows: ABC claimed some of TV’s fastest-growing returning series this season in Adults 18-49: “The Middle” (+4% – best-ever season), “Modern Family” (+17% – best-ever season), “Happy Endings” (+43% over Season 1), “Private Practice” (+7%) and “Shark Tank” (+29% – best-ever season). And some of the Net’s key new programs substantially improved their time slots: “Last Man Standing” (+43%), “Suburgatory” (+25%), “Revenge” (+45%), “Scandal” (+14%), “Once Upon a Time” (+71%).
- ABC Claims Some of the Season’s Highest-Rated TV Series: ABC aired the season’s No. 1 scripted series/comedy (“Modern Family”), the No. 1 drama (“Grey’s”) and the No. 1 freshman drama (“Once Upon a Time” – TV’s top rated new drama series in 4 years). In fact, it was the 2nd straight season for “Modern Family“ to stand as TV’s highest rated scripted show, as ABC has delivered TV’s No. 1 scripted series in 6 of the last 8 television seasons. Led by “Once Upon a Time,” the Net claimed 10 of the Top 20 new series this season in Adults 18-49, the most for any network.
- ABC’s Wednesday Night Comedy Block Grows for the 2nd Year in a Row: For the 2nd year in a row, ABC’s Wednesday 8:00-10:00 p.m. comedy block grew year over year with Total Viewers (+2%) and Adults 18-49 (+6%). In fact on average, the Net just wrapped up its top-rated Wednesday night in 5 seasons – since 2006-07.
- ABC is a Strong Draw with Upscale Young Adults: Among Adults 18-49 in homes with $100K+ Annual Income in the non-sports numbers, ABC ranked No. 2 this season, just behind first-place Fox, while beating CBS (+5%) and NBC (+22%). ABC delivered 9 of the Top 25 TV series this season among high-income young adults (the most for any network), including the No. 1 entertainment series overall with “Modern Family.”
- ABC is Home to the Top Broadcast Series for “Family Coviewing”: ABC was home to 6 of the Top 10 programs on the major networks this season in “Family Coviewing.” “Wipeout” and “America’s Funniest Home Videos” are the Top 2 shows overall, “Once Upon a Time” (the most coviewed drama in the last decade) was the No. 1 drama and “The Middle” was the No. 1 comedy.
- ABC Series Rank Among the Most Popularly Recorded and Played Back: ABC series were once again among the most popularly recorded and played back TV shows, as “Modern Family” picked up a record-setting 2.5 Adult 18-49 rating points from the L+SD to the L+7 numbers. With a significant rise in DVR penetration year to year (41% to 44%), a total of 8 of ABC’s series added 2.0 million viewers or more on average from their initially reported totals via time-shifted viewing. In fact, “Modern” was TV’s biggest overall gainer, picking up 4.8 million viewers via playback after its initial day of air.