via press release:
Adult Swim Achieves Most-Watched Year in its 12-Year History
Total Day Performance Ranks #1 on Basic Cable for Adults 18-34, 18-49 and Men 18-34, 18-49
Double-Digit Annual Growth—Between 10%-13%—Scored Across All Target Demos
Network Also Ranks #2 in Primetime Among Adults & Men 18-34, Earning 17%-22% Growth
Digital Gains Also Include #1 Ranking in the Comscore Humor Category
As 2013 draws to a close, Adult Swim, Turner Broadcasting’s signature network for young adults, is on track to set new records with its most-watched year in its history among targeted adults 18-34, 18-49 and men 18-34, according to preliminary data from Nielsen Media Research. For the 9th year in a row, Adult Swim also will rank #1 on basic cable in Total Day among adults 18-34 and men 18-34, as well as rank #1 among adults 18-49 and men 18-49, earning double-digit delivery growth across these targeted demos in 2013, ranging between 10% and 13%. In Primetime, Adult Swim will rank #2 on basic cable (behind sister network TBS) among adults 18-34 and men 18-34, capping off a stellar year that charted impressive delivery gains across adults 18-34 (20%), adults 18-49 (17%), men 18-34 (22%) and men 18-49 (17%) vs. 2012.
Among Adult Swim’s programming highlights, the Emmy® Award-winning original animated series Robot Chicken (Sundays, 12 a.m.) ranked #1 on basic cable across 2013 in its time period among adults 18-34 & 18-49 and men 18-34 & 18-49. New episodes of the Seth Green and Matt Senreich-created stop-motion comedy series increased targeted audience delivery by double and triple digits vs. the same time period in 2012. Similarly, original series The Eric Andre Show, recently renewed for its 3rd season, ranked #1 in its timeslot among adults 18-34, also growing by double digits vs. the time period last year. New episode premieres of Adult Swim originals Aqua TV Show Show (Sunday, 12 a.m.), the 2012 Emmy®-winning Childrens Hospital (Thursday, 12 a.m.), China, IL(Sunday, 11:30 p.m.), The Heart, She Holler (September weeknights, 12:30 a.m.), Loiter Squad (Sunday, 12 a.m.), Newsreaders(Thursday, 12 a.m.), NTSD:SD:SUV:: (Thursday, 12:15 a.m.), Squidbillies (Sunday, 12:15 a.m.) and The Venture Bros. (Sunday, 12 a.m.) all grew targeted audience delivery by mostly double digits over their respective time periods in 2012. Finally, Adult Swim’s Saturday night TOONAMI block of exclusive Animé programming grew average delivery of all targeted demos by remarkable double digits, ranging between 39% and 44%.
Highlights of Adult Swim’s overall 2013 performance, compared to the same 2012 time period, include the following:
- Adults 18-34 average delivery (558,000) increased by 20%, and ratings (0.8) by 14%
- Adults 18-49 average delivery (785,000) increased by 17%, and ratings (0.6) by 20%
- Adults 18-24 average delivery (294,000) increased by 21%, and ratings (1.0) by 25%
- Men 18-34 average delivery (310,000) increased by 22%, and ratings (0.9) by 29%
- Men 18-49 average delivery (416,000) increased by 17%, and ratings (0.7) by 17%
- Men 18-24 average delivery (166,000) increased by 27%, and ratings (1.1) by 22%
- Total Viewers 2+ average delivery (1,514,000) increased by 2%, and ratings (0.5) were unchanged
- Adults 18-34 average delivery (580,000) increased by 12%, and ratings (0.9) by 13%
- Adults 18-49 average delivery (783,000) increased by 11%, and ratings (0.6) were unchanged
- Adults 18-24 average delivery (332,000) increased by 15%, and ratings (1.1) by 10%
- Men 18-34 average delivery (342,000) increased by 13%, and ratings (1.0) by 11%
- Men 18-49 average delivery (448,000) increased by 10%, and ratings (0.7) by 17%
- Men 18-24 average delivery (197,000) increased by 15%, and ratings (1.3) by 8%
- Total Viewers 2+ average delivery (1,352,000) increased by 4%, and ratings (0.5) were unchanged
Adult Swim’s ascendance in the digital arena also continues to climb as the “Adult Swim/Funny or Die Network” ranked #1 this year in the Comscore Humor category among average monthly Unique Visitors: persons 2+ (8.6 million) and men 2+ (5.3 million). Across Adult Swim’s digital platforms, game plays overall grew by 124% vs. 2012 (Omniture, Bango, Facebook, Steam). Adult Swim mobile games reached 55 million app downloads in 2013 to date, boosted by three consecutive #1 apps in the iTunes store—Robot Unicorn Attack 2, Amateur Surgeon 3 and Giant Boulder of Death (iTunes, Google Play). Adult Swim VOD in 2013 grew 8% over 2012, racking up 64.5 million orders (Rentrak). And the Adult Swim Facebook fan page grew to 4.2 million “Likes,” attracting more than 700,000 new fans since 2012.
Adult Swim (AdultSwim.com), launched in 2001, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.’s network offering original and acquired animated and live-action series for young adults. Airing nightly from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. (ET/PT), Adult Swim is basic cable’s #1 network with persons 18-34 and 18-49, and is seen in 99 million U.S. homes.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.
RATING PERIOD: 12/31/12 – 12/8/13 vs. 12/26/11 – 12/9/12
SOURCE: Nielsen Media Research based on Live+7 blended with Live+ SD most current data. Rankers based on 3 telecasts minimum.
NOTES: All ratings based on Total U.S. Television Universe of 115,000,000 homes.