via press release:
DISCOVERY CHANNEL BRINGS FANS CLOSER THAN EVER TO “SHARK WEEK” WITH ROBUST DIGITAL & SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN
– SHARK WEEK Fin-atics Can Celebrate with Live On-Air Social Integrations and More –
(Silver Spring, Md.) – In 2011, SHARK WEEK viewers dominated social media, nabbing the top spot on Trendrr’s social TV chart and generating more than 750,000 SHARK WEEK Tweets throughout the week. As Americans prepare to celebrate the 25th anniversary of summer’s most jawsome ritual, Discovery Channel is making this year the most digitally engaging and socially fueled yet.
Immersive360-Degree ‘Shark Cam’
The countdown to SHARK WEEK started earlier this month with the launch of Shark Cam, a live 360-degree underwater experience from the Georgia Aquarium’s Ocean Voyager exhibit, powered by Ustream. Visitors to SharkWeek.com can dive in with 33 sharks spanning seven species with daily feedings and interactive live chats with shark experts from August 13-16.
Viewers Turn Programmers Through Social Media
Turning our attention to the TV, beginning on Sunday, August 12 at 9pm ET/PT, Philip DeFranco of Revision3’s The Philip DeFranco Show will host the Shark Week Chompdown, as fans vote by visiting SHARK WEEK’s Facebook page and using unique on-air Twitter hashtags on which item they would like to see our massive mechanical megalodon, Sharkzilla, bite to bits each night. For the first time ever, fans on social media will control their SHARK WEEK destiny, as their votes will determine which item meets its ultimate demiseeach night (with the possibility of different outcomes for ET and PT).
#SharkWeek Fin-atics Featured On Air
SHARK WEEK viewers also will have the chance to be a part of Discovery Channel’s primetime lineup by joining the SHARK WEEK Twitter Frenzy, a live on-air ticker that will complement 10 hours of programming. During the 9pm and 10pm hours each night our social media sharks will be selecting their favorite #SharkWeek fan Tweets to feature on TV.
Simultaneous Viewing Experience
Viewers that want to immerse themselves even further can download the Discovery Channel HD App for iPad and add Shark Week Plus to their SHARK WEEK experience. The audio-synced, simultaneous viewing app is paired with five nights of premieres at 9pm ET/PT, including AIR JAWS APOCALYPSE, SHARKZILLA, HOW JAWS CHANGED THE WORLD, SHARK FIGHT and GREAT WHITE HIGHWAY, and features behind-the-scenes factoids, photos, quizzes, social conversation and more.
Fans also can add more bite to their SHARK WEEK with:
· A Thunderclap for Sharks: SHARK WEEK fans will be encouraged to join Discovery Channel, Oceana and other partners in a special Thunderclap to support the West Coast population of great white sharks being added to federal and California state Endangered Species lists.
· SHARK WEEK Bingo: Viewers can join their friends and family online at SharkWeek.com and in the Shark Week Plus iPad experience to compete for bragging rights.
· Socialcam: SHARK WEEK’s Socialcam channel was the first from a TV brand and has quickly become one of the Top 25, with toothy videos that have more than 800,000 followers hungry for more.
· GetGlue: Viewers can check into SHARK WEEK during our countdown week to earn fan-created stickers and all week long during SHARK WEEK to earn nightly stickers demonstrating their fin-dom. Those who collect the entire set will unlock a special sticker and enter them for jawsome prizes.
· And much more, which will be revealed by following @SharkWeek on Twitter, schooling with fellow fans on the SHARK WEEK Facebook page and visiting SharkWeek.com.
Discovery Channel’s SHARK WEEK is cable’s longest-running programming event and will celebrate its 25th anniversary with eight all-new specials beginning Sunday, August 12 at 9pm ET/PT.