via press release:
DISCOVERY CHANNEL SEES SECOND LARGEST MALE AUDIENCE EVER IN JANUARY
— Friday Night’s GOLD RUSH: ALASKA and FLYING WILD ALASKA Bring Record Delivery
for Discovery —
(Silver Spring, Md.) – With new series successes such as GOLD RUSH: ALASKA and FLYING WILD ALASKA on Friday nights, as well as viewer favorites AMERICAN CHOPPER: SENIOR VS. JUNIOR, DIRTY JOBS AND MYTHBUSTERS, Discovery Channel experienced its second best January in prime (and highest since 2004) among M25-54 delivery (474,000).
All month long, Discovery Channel saw its best Fridays ever in almost all key demos in January (12-27/10-1/30/11) including HH (1.4), P2+ (0.8), P/M/W25-54 (1.0/1.4/0.6), W18-49 (0.6) and W18-34 (0.5) with the success of new series FLYING WILD ALASKA (Fridays at 9PM) and GOLD RUSH: ALASKA (Fridays at 10PM). On Fridays in January 2011, Gold Rush was the #1 non-sports program in all of television, among M25-54, delivering an average of 3.5 million people P2+ per telecast.
Throughout January 2011, Discovery Channel was a top 10 cable network every night of the week for M25-54 prime delivery. Highlights include (all data for January 2011):
· GOLD RUSH: ALASKA was the #1 non-sports program in ALL of TELEVISION among M25-54.
· GOLD RUSH: ALASKA was ad-supported cable’s top-rated program (non-sports) on Friday nights among HH, P2+, P/M25-54, P/M18-49. FLYING WILD ALASKA was the #2 non-sports program in ad-supported cable among P/M25-54 and P/M18-49 on Friday nights.
· American Chopper: Senior vs. Junior was Monday’s #3 cable program (excluding sports) for P/M25-54 and M18-49.
· Dirty Jobs was the #4 non-fiction cable program among M25-54 Tuesdays (excluding sports/movies). Premieres of Auction Kings was Tuesday’s #7 cable program (excluding sports/movies) among M25-54.
· MythBusters was Wednesday’s #3 non-fiction cable programs (excluding sports), for M18-49 (#4 among M25-54).