via press release:
|NBC OLYMPICS SETS RECORDS FOR YOUNGER VIEWERS|
|Overall Viewership of Teen Girls 12-17 Up 54%
Overall Viewership of Teens 12-17 Up 29%
68% of People ages 13-24 Are Live Streaming For The First Time On A Tablet (Among NBC Live Extra App Users)
53% of People ages 13-24 Are Live Streaming For The First Time On A Smart Phone (Among NBC Live Extra App Users)
|London – August 3, 2012 – Through seven days of NBC’s coverage of the 2012 London Olympic Games, overall viewership is up double digits among teens and teenage girls. Overall viewership for teen girls, 12-17, is up 54% vs. Beijing (8.3 rating vs. 5.4 rating) and overall viewership for teens 12-17 is up 29% vs. Beijing (7.2 rating vs. 5.6 rating).
Teen viewership of the London Games is more than six times higher than traditional broadcast viewing habits, and teen girl ratings for NBC’s coverage of the London Olympics is 89% higher than the No. 1 rated primetime show on broadcast television in the same demographic (Glee/FOX).
• Teen girl ratings for the London Olympics are also more than double the rating of the No. 1 primetime shows on remaining competing broadcast networks.
• More than three times as many female teens watched the London Olympics in primetime than purchased a movie ticket to The Twilight Saga: Eclipse.
• 171% more teens watched NBC’s coverage of the London Olympics than shopped at Abercrombie & Fitch in the last three months.
In addition to a significant increase in broadcast viewing habits, young people are also engaging with NBC Olympics digital content like never before. According to NBC Live Extra App data,
• 68% of people ages 13-24 are live streaming for the first time on a tablet (Among NBC Live Extra App users).
• 53% of people ages 13-24 are live streaming for the first time on a smart phone (Among NBC Live Extra App users).
Through the first seven days of the London Olympics, NBC is averaging 1.7 million teen viewers, the most of any non-U.S. Summer Olympics since the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Through the same time period, 174.9 million Americans have watched the Olympics on the networks of NBCUniversal, ahead of Beijing’s 174.1 at the same point through the Games.