via press release:
WEEKEND COVERAGE OF THE PLAYERS DRAWS 19.3 MILLION VIEWERS AND IS THE MOST-VIEWED WEEKEND FOR ANY PGA TOUR EVENT SINCE 2013
Golf Channel’s Coverage Reaches 8.1 Million Viewers, Making it the Network’s Third Most-Viewed Week in Past Year and a Half
Golf Channel Digital Posts Best-Ever Traffic In All Key Metrics for THE PLAYERS
ORLANDO, Fla. (May 14, 2015) – Golf Channel on NBC’s Coverage of THE PLAYERS Championship drew 19.3 million viewers, which makes it the most-viewed weekend for any PGA TOUR event since Tiger Woods’ 2013 win at TPC Sawgrass, according to data released by The Nielsen Company. Viewership peaked from 7:30-8 p.m. ET, with 7.8 million average viewers and a 4.77 U.S. household rating during the four-hole playoff, won by Rickie Fowler.
Other highlights from Golf Channel on NBC’s weekend coverage of THE PLAYERS include:
- Sunday’s coverage reached 5 million average viewers (+66% YOY), making it the third most-watched final round over the past year, only trailing the 2015 Masters and 2014 PGA Championship.
- Sunday’s coverage posted a 3.29 U.S. household rating, making it the second highest-rated final round at THE PLAYERS in a decade, trailing only 2013.
Golf Central Live From THE PLAYERS and early-round coverage propelled Golf Channel to draw 8.1 million viewers throughout the week, making it the third most-viewed week on Golf Channel since August 2013, trailing only the past two Masters weeks. With 174,000 average viewers per minute across the entire week, it is the second most-watched PLAYERS week ever on Golf Channel.
The excitement for THE PLAYERS carried into Monday with Morning Drive from 9-10 a.m. ET posting its most-watched Monday hour since August of last year (83,000 average viewers) and Golf Central posting its most-watched weekday telecast since April of last year (120,000 average viewers).
RECORD STREAMING AND BEST-EVER TRAFFIC FOR THE PLAYERS WEEK ON GOLF CHANNEL DIGITAL:
- The 2015 PLAYERS was the second most-streamed PGA TOUR event ever on Golf Live Extra, trailing only 2013’s coverage, with 7.39 million minutes streamed (+94% YOY). This also was the most-streamed event for Golf Live Extra since the 2014 Ryder Cup.
- Golf Channel Digital scored Best Ever PLAYERS week records (Mon-Mon) in all key metrics, including:
- Page Views: 23.84 million (+54% YOY)
- Visits: 4.40 million (+49% YOY)
- Video Starts: 906K (+82% YOY)
- Unique Visitors: GolfChannel.com 1.54 million (+40% YOY)
ABOUT GOLF CHANNEL
Golf Channel is a multimedia, golf entertainment and services company based in Orlando, Fla. Serving the most-affluent audience in all of television, Golf Channel – co-founded by Arnold Palmer in 1995 and now part of NBC Sports Group – is available in more than 200 million homes in more than 80 countries and 11 languages around the world. Exclusive partnerships with the world’s top tours allow Golf Channel to feature more live golf coverage than all other networks combined, as well as a programming schedule distinguished by golf’s highest-quality news, instruction and original content. Golf Channel’s digital platforms, headed by GolfChannel.com, are the leading golf destinations on the Internet, delivering unmatched coverage of the world of golf. Fans are able to enjoy 24/7 live streaming of Golf Channel content through Golf Live Extra and select programming is simulcast via SiriusXM’s PGA TOUR Radio. In addition, Golf Channel connects the world to golf through a wide array of digital and lifestyle services including Golf Channel Mobile, a comprehensive app covering golf’s latest headlines, scores and analysis; GolfNow, the world’s largest online tee time booking platform and golf course technology partner, which includes the GolfNow Mobile App, featuring on-course GPS tracking, in-round scoring and game tracking; GolfAdvisor.com, a golf course ratings and review portal for golfers, by golfers; a North American network of Golf Channel Academy instructional facilities; and Golf Channel Am Tour, the world’s largest amateur golf tour.