via press release:
SYFY MAKES HISTORY WITH RECORD-BREAKING RANKINGS
SYFY POSTS BEST OCTOBER EVER IN TOTAL VIEWERS, ADULTS 18-34, ADULTS 18-49, ADULTS 25-54, WOMEN 18-34, WOMEN 18-49 AND WOMEN 25-54
Syfy Leaps Into #3 Among A25-54 and #4 in A18-49 –
Best Performance in Seven Years
New York, NY – October 27, 2009 – Extending its summer ratings surge into fall, Syfy smashed yet another viewership record with its most watched October prime in history among total viewers (1,452,000), Adults 18-34 (308,000), Adults 18-49 (733,000), Adults 25-54 (797,000), Women 18-34 (141,000), Women 18-49 (356,000) and Women 25-54 (378,000).
Syfy jumped to #3 in A25-54 and #4 among A18-49 versus all basic cable entertainment networks – its second best monthly ranking ever in these demos behind December 2002 when Steven Spielberg’s record-setting Taken premiered.
The record October performance was fueled by strong ratings from Stargate Universe and Sanctuary — which both premiered this month — Ghost Hunters and Destination Truth, the two highest-rated paranormal investigative series on television, along with the annual 31 Days of Halloweenspook-a-thon.
Syfy also reported that in the Third Quarter, $75K+ A18-49 delivery increased by +21% vs. 3Q ’08.
October Syfy Ratings Highlights (includes full viewing data)
- The current 5th season of Ghost Hunters is shaping up to be its best ever in key demos and marks the best season ever for any Syfy original series in A18-49.
- Ghost Hunters is averaging a 2.1 HH Rating, 3.0 million total viewers, 861,000 A18-34, 1.86 million A18-49 and 2.0 million A25-54.
- The first season of Stargate Universe is averaging a 2.1 HH rating, 2.85 million total viewers, 1.5 million A18-49, and 1.7 million A25-54. Compared to the last season of Stargate Atlantis, SGU is up +59% in A18-34, +41% in A18-49, +33% in A25-54 and +36% in total viewers.
- Destination Truth is also on track for its best season ever. Season three thus far is averaging a 1.7 HH Rating, 2.2 million total viewers, 684,000 A18-34, 1.35 million A18-49 and 1.4 million A25-54.
- The second season premiere of Sanctuary delivered a 1.8 HH rating, 2.4 million total viewers, 493,000 A18-34, 1.25 million A18-49 and 1.5 million A25-54. This marks a series high performance in A18-34.
- The Fall 2009 season of Scare Tactics is averaging a 1.1 HH rating, 410,000 A18-34, 818,000 A18-49, 825,000 A25-54 and 1.56 million total viewers. Compared to the Fall 2008 season, Scare Tactics is up by +29% in A18-34, +37% in A18-49, +33% in A25-54, and +42% in total viewers.
- The original movie premiere of Megafault on October 10 delivered 2.6 million total viewers, Syfy‘s best original movie premiere in over two years (April 2007).
Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in 95 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy. Imagine greater.)