Bill posted about this yesterday and concluded that while perhaps Caprica will take a short-term hit in the ratings for its pilot, the longer-term benefit of more exposure and potentially more viewers for the series is probably worth the short-term hit. Here’s the official press release from Syfy:
SYFY’S INNOVATIVE CAPRICA DISTRIBUTION AND MARKETING CAMPAIGN GENERATES 1.5 MILLION PRE-PREMIERE VIEWING AUDIENCE FOR PILOT EPISODE
PLATFORMS INCLUDED HULU, SYFY.COM, DVD, FREE ON DEMAND, APPLE AND AMAZON ALONG WITH
PRESTIGIOUS FILM FESTIVALS
Caprica Premieres on Syfy Friday, January 22, at 9PM (ET/PT)
New York, NY — January 19, 2010 — Prior to the highly anticipated January 22 premiere of Caprica, Syfy’s innovative distribution and marketing campaign has generated a viewing audience of 1.5 million viewers for the two-hour pilot episode across a wide range of platforms from Hulu, Syfy.com, DVD, FOD (Free on Demand), Apple and Amazon to featured screenings at prestigious film festivals.
Starring Eric Stolz and Esai Morales as patriarchs of two rival families, Caprica premieres on Syfy Friday, January 22, at 9PM (ET/PT). The on-air episode goes beyond the DVD version with never-before-seen shots that further illustrate the rich, vibrant world of Caprica.
The campaign kicked off in March 2009, shortly after the series finale of Battlestar Galactica, with the DVD release of the premiere.
Said Blake Callaway, Senior Vice President, Marketing, Brand and Strategic, Syfy: “Marketing a high profile series like Caprica to garner maximum pre-premiere sampling was a risky strategy which has surpassed our expectations – 1.5 million viewers and still counting! As consumer media habits evolve, we wanted to generate awareness by providing easy access to the entire first episode and actively drive consumers to see the pilot. Since the powerful content speaks for itself, there is no better way to generate excitement for the next 18 episodes than by letting viewers get involved early and help us spread the word.”
The Caprica Marketing Campaign Included:
- The Caprica Open Mic Facebook application is a weekly interactive dialogue between fans and the Caprica cast/producers, beginning with Alessandra Torresani (Zoe Graystone) on the subject of “favorite badass female robots.” Users download the application, listen to each week’s question and post their video responses. Each week Syfy will post a top 10 reel highlighting the most provocative answers. http://apps.facebook.com/capricaopenmic/
- For the national print ad campaign, broad mix of entertainment and digital outlets such as Vanity Fair, Interview, GQ, Daily Beast, Vice, Dwell, Not Cot, OUT and Wired.
- Partnerships with MUN2 and Telemundo to target the Hispanic audience, America’s fastest growing and youngest demographic.
- This partnership includes MUN2 broadcasting the Caprica premiere between January 22-29 in addition to being available at holamun2.com since December 15.
- Screenings at the Woodstock, Austin and San Diego Film Festivals as well as a screening series in New York City in partnership with Vice magazine.
The fate of humanity takes a sudden twist when tragedy upsets the lives of the citizens of Caprica, a vibrant world recognizably close to our own. This original series will feature the passion, intrigue, political backbiting, and family conflict in an omnipotent society that is at the height of its blind power and glory…and, unknowingly, on the brink of its fall.
Caprica stars Eric Stoltz (Daniel Graystone), Paula Malcomson (Amanda Graystone), Esai Morales (Joseph Adama), Polly Walker (Sister Clarice Willow), Alessandra Torresani (Zoe Graystone), Magda Apanowicz (Lacy) and Sasha Roiz (Sam Adama).
The series is from Universal Cable Productions, and the first half of season one is executive produced by Ronald D. Moore, David Eick and Jane Espenson. Jonas Pate serves as co-executive producer and director. Jeffrey Reiner (Friday Night Lights) directed the pilot. Caprica premieres January 22, 2010 @ 9pm and will air subsequent Fridays @ 9pm on Syfy.
UNIVERSAL CABLE PRODUCTIONS was established to create a sustainable pipeline of quality content and derive the greatest value from it across multiple platforms. The studio will be an industry leader in unique and innovative programming for USA and Syfy, and all cable networks.
Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in 95 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy. Imaginegreater.)