via NBCU press release:
USA MAKES HISTORY WITH BEST APRIL EVER IN CABLE
Beats CW amidst Broadcast Competition
USA Sets The Bar With Originals In Plain Sight and Law & Order: Criminal Intent
NEW YORK, NEW YORK – April 28, 2009 – USA delivered more P25-54 (1.42 million), P18-49 (1.35 million), total viewers (3.08 million) and households (2.29 million) than any other basic cable entertainment network in history for the month of April. This marks a first for basic cable with USA averaging a record-breaking ratings’ win of more than 3 million total viewers for the month. Compared to April 2008, USA delivered +15% more P25-54, +9% more P18-49, +6% more P18-34, and +12% more total viewers in April 2009.
USA continues to out-perform The CW amidst heavy broadcast competition, maintaining double-digit leads in P18-49 (+13%), P25-54 (+31%), and total viewers (+50%) this month. USA registered victories over broadcast in 43 primetime (M-Su 8P-11P) hours this month, with new original episodes of IN PLAIN SIGHT, LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT, WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW hit movies, and episodes of the top acquired series on cable: HOUSE and NCIS.
Eleven of the top fifteen P25-54 telecasts in April were on USA, including the top three, including the season premieres of USA Originals IN PLAIN SIGHT and LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT, every telecast of WWE RAW aired in April. USA also held seven of the top fifteen P18-49 telecasts, including the top two. No other network placed more than two telecasts in this top tier for either demo.
· The season premieres of the USA Original series IN PLAIN SIGHT and LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT were the only scripted dramas to appear in the top fifteen for the month of April.despite intense broadcast and cable competition. Both season launches showed significant gains over prior year’s numbers despite intense broadcast and cable competition.
· The Season 2 premiere of IN PLAIN SIGHT was the #1 scripted telecast of the month among P25-54 (2.46 million) and households (3.87 million) in basic cable prime. This was the top scripted telecast Sundays P25-54, P18-49 (2.27 million), total viewers (5.11 million), and households.
· Second only to IN PLAIN SIGHT among scripted series this month in P25-54, and on Sundays in April among total viewers and households, was the Season 8 premiere of LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT
· Every April telecast of WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW appeared in April’s top 15 telecasts, leading USA to beat ABC in WWE RAW’s regular timeslot (Mon 9P-11P) in April among M18-49, M25-54, and M18-34.
· NCIS and HOUSE continue to be the top acquired series on cable, ranking at #1 and #2 among P25-54 (1.36 million NCIS / 1.18 million HOUSE), total viewers (3.20 million / 2.54 million), and households (2.47 million / 1.94 million). These were the only acquired series to average over 1 million P25-54, 2.5 million total viewers, or 2 million households in April’s basic cable prime.
*Note: all weekly daypart and program data is Live+SD.
USA Network is the #1 network in all of basic cable and is seen in 94 million U.S. homes. A division of NBC Universal, USA is the cable television leader in original series and is home to the best in blockbuster theatrical films, acquired television series and entertainment events. The award-winning USA website is located at http://www.usanetwork.com. Characters Welcome.
USA Network is a program service of NBC Universal Cable a division of NBC Universal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.