via press release:
Viacom’s BET and MTV Brands Document First Lady Michelle Obama’s Youth Engagement Trip to South Africa and Botswana Across Network Platforms
BET’s 106 & Park Will Air Special Message From The First Lady On Thursday, June 16 at 6:00 PM ET
BET Networks, BET International and BET.com Will Premiere A 30-minute BET News Special, IMPACT AFRICA: ON A MISSION WITH THE FIRST LADY
MTV News and mtvU To Feature Updates Throughout the Historic Trip
NEW YORK, June 15, 2011–Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA and VIA.B) today announced that its cable brands MTV and BET Networks will engage their news, social media, international, and targeted show franchises to chronicle First Lady Michelle Obama’s trip to South Africa and Botswana to engage and empower young people in the U.S. and abroad.
First Lady Michelle Obama and her family will travel to Johannesburg and Cape Town, South Africa and Gaborone, Botswana during an official visit to Africa from June 21 – 26 focused on youth leadership, education, health and wellness. This is a continuation of Mrs. Obama’s work to engage young people at home and abroad, from mentoring students in the United States and encouraging them to gain international experience, to encouraging young people to excel academically, serve, and lead during her visits toBrazil, Chile, El Salvador, India, Mexico and the United Kingdom.
“We’re so excited to engage with BET and MTV’s audiences throughout this historic trip,” said Kristina Schake, Communications Director to the First Lady. “Mrs. Obama has called on young people at home, in Africa, and around the world to follow the trip and connect with each other. We know that young people are not only the leaders of tomorrow, but also are the leaders of today, and we want their voices to be heard.”
Following is an outline of the content for BET Networks and MTV:
- BET’s daily music countdown show 106 & PARK will air a special message from Mrs. Obama addressing the audience during a taping of 106 & PARK, airing on Thursday, June 16.
- BET, BET International and BET.com will air a News special IMPACT AFRICA: ON A MISSION WITH THE FIRST LADY. Hosted by journalist Lola Ogunnaike, the 30-minute program will capture exclusive footage of the First Lady along with her mother and daughters in South Africa at featured events including Mrs. Obama delivering the keynote address to a U.S.-sponsored Young African Women Leaders Forum in South Africa and visiting the Johannesburg Apartheid Museum and Robben Island Prison Museum inCape Town where Nelson Mandela and many anti-apartheid leaders were imprisoned. The special will also include a “Reporter’s Journal,” during which Ogunnaike will write short blog entries along the route capturing special moments of the trip and her personal experience.
- MTV News will cover the First Lady’s June 16 announcement on MTV, mtvU, MTVNews.com, Act.MTV.com and associated social media platforms (Twitter & Facebook).
- MTV News will provide updates throughout the First Lady’s trip on MTV, mtvU, MTVNews.com, Act.MTV.com, and social media platforms.
- MTV Base Africa will run coverage of the First Lady’s visit across their digital and social media platforms, including daily online reports filed by MTV Base Africa reporter covering the trip. Highlights from BET reporter Lola Ogunnaike’s “Reporter Journals” will be featured on MTVNews.com, Act.MTV.com, and social media platforms.
Twitter users will be able to track updates about First Lady Michelle Obama’s experiences and interact with others who are following the trip with the hashtag #youngafrica.
For more information on IMPACT AFRICA: ON A MISSION WITH THE FIRST LADY, please visit www.bet.com.
*All times ET/PT