via press release:
2013 IRONMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP AIRS SATURDAY AT 4:30 P.M. ET ON NBC
Coverage Features Football Night In America Analyst and IRONMAN World Championship Participant Hines Ward
Broadcast Includes History-Making World Champion Finishes From Mirinda Carfrae and Frederik Van Lierde
Stamford, Conn. – Nov, 11, 2013 – NBC Sports’ annual IRONMAN World Championship broadcast special, from Kona, Hawaii, will air Saturday at 4:30 p.m. ET. For 35 years, the IRONMAN World Championship triathlon has showcased the power and competitiveness of the world’s top endurance athletes, as well as some of the most awe-inspiring stories of courage and determination from age-group athletes and everyday individuals.
The 90-minute show will provide viewers an all-access experience, as more than 30 cameras captured the action from the air, land, and water of Kailua Bay during the 140.6-mile challenge that took place on October 12 in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.
The broadcast special spans from the pre-race build-up to race day, unveiling the intensity, emotion, physical demands and dramatic competition as 2,000 athletes from more than 50 countries swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles and ran 26.2 miles across rugged Hawaiian terrain.
Among the features of this year’s IRONMAN World Championship special:
- Record-smashing performance by Female World Champion Mirinda Carfrae of Australia
- History-making finish of Male World Champion Frederik Van Lierde of Belgium
- First time journey of Super Bowl XL MVP and Football Night In America analyst Hines Ward
- Exclusive interviews with current and former World Champions and other IRONMAN finishers
- The remarkable story of physically challenged athlete Karen Aydelott, who qualified in 2012 as an able-bodied athlete but didn’t finish
- Fearless 78-year-old Harriet Anderson, who competes to become the oldest female to ever finish the IRONMAN World Championship
Veteran NBC Olympics play-by-play announcer Al Trautwig will narrate the annual special, and offer viewers a front-row seat to one of the most captivating events in sports. A programming fixture on NBC since 1991, the IRONMAN World Championship special has garnered more than 40 Emmy Award-nominations and won 16 Emmy Awards.
The iconic IRONMAN Series of events is the largest participation sports platform in the world. Since the inception of the IRONMAN brand in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE by crossing finish lines at the world’s most challenging endurance races. Recognized for excellence through distinguished events, world-class athletes and quality products, IRONMAN has grown from a single race to a global sensation with more than 190 events across five unique brands: IRONMAN, IRONMAN 70.3, 5150 Triathlon Series, Iron Girl and IronKids. For more information, visit www.ironman.com.