via press release:

For All 13 Weeks of the Season, “GMA” Cuts Total Viewing and Demo Gaps with “Today” Year-to-Year and Season-to-Date


“GMA” Only Morning Show to Increase in Demo Season-to-Date and Year-to-Year; Increases Most in Demo Week-to-Week



ABC News’ “Good Morning America” drew 4.856 Total Viewers and 1.6/11/1.955 million Adults 25-54 for the week of December 12, 2011.  For the 2nd time in the last 3 weeks, “GMA” built on the previous week in Adults 25-54 (+5% – 1.864 for w/o 12/5/11), posting the largest weekly news demo increase among the network morning newscasts (NBC’s “Today” was up +1%; CBS’ “Early Show” was down -5%).


“GMA” was up over the same week last year in Adults 25-54 (1.955 million vs. 1.952 million),stretching its growth over the year-ago week this season to 13 consecutive weeks.  In addition, “GMA” wasthe only morning newscast to grow year to year in the key adult news demo (NBC’s “Today” was down -11%; CBS’ “Early Show” was down -15%).


“GMA” decreased its week-to-week margins with NBC’s “Today” in both Total Viewers (-1% – 760,000 vs. 767,000) and Adults 25-54 (-11% – 507,000 vs. 567,000), narrowing its news demo margin for the 3rd time in the last 4 weeks.  In addition, for the 13th time in as many weeks this season, “GMA” narrowed its year-to-year margins with “Today” in both Total Viewers (-12% – 760,000 vs. 868,000) and in Adults 25-54 (-38% – 507,000 vs. 822,000). 


Season to date, “GMA” narrowed its gaps in both Total Viewers (-38%) and Adults 25-54 (-38%) versus its year-ago season gaps, posting its smallest margins (584,000 and 499,000, respectively) with “Today” in 4 years – since the 2007-08 season.


“GMA” outperformed CBS’ “Early Show” by 2.278 million Total Viewers (4.856 million vs. 2.578 million) and by 922,000 Adults 25-54 (1.955 million vs. 1.033 million), delivering its 2nd largest news demo advantage of the season.


Season to date “GMA” is up the most among network morning news programs in Viewers (+9%), and is the only morning program to grow in Adults 25-54 (+10%) versus year-ago averages (NBC’s “Today” is up +1% and down -5%, respectively; CBS’ “Early Show” is down -8% and -10%, respectively). “GMA” is seeing its largest overall season audience in 4 years, since the 2007-08 Season.


Emmy Award-winning “GMA,” featuring the anchor team of Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos, Sam Champion, Lara Spencer and Josh Elliott, airs live Mon.-Fri. (7:00-9:00 a.m., ET) on ABC. James Goldston is senior executive producer and Tom Cibrowski is executive producer.


WEEK OF 12/12/11       TOTAL VIEWERS   ADULTS 25-54         HOUSEHOLDS

ABC                    4,856,000      1.6/11; 1,955,000      3.6/13

NBC                    5,616,000      2.0/14; 2,462,000      4.2/15

CBS                    2,578,000      0.9/ 6; 1,033,000      1.8/ 7


Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers and Adults 25-54 Live + SD weeks of 12/12/11, 12/5/11 & 12/13/10.  Most Current: 2011-2012 Season (9/19 – 12/18/11) and 2010-2011 Season (9/20 – 12/19/10).

Posted by:TV By The Numbers

blog comments powered by Disqus