via press release:




First Time “GMA” Beat NBC’s “Today” in Post-Olympic Week in Total Viewers Since 1992


“GMA” Slashes Weekly Demo Gap with “Today” by -93% and Yearly Demo Gap by -88%


 “GMA” Grows in Total Viewers and Demo Year to Year While “Today” Declines by Double Digits



After winning the week before the Olympics, ABC News’ “Good Morning America” followed up by winning the week after the Olympics, ranking No. 1 in Total Viewers (4.654 million) for the week of August 13, 2012, according to Nielsen Media Research.  “GMA” beat NBC’s “Today” (4.399 million) by +255,000 Total Viewers.  “GMA” has ranked No. 1 in Total Viewers in 6 of the last 8 weeks (trailing an Olympics-fueled “Today” in the previous two weeks) and in 10 of the last 19 weeks overall since first beating “Today” in April (w/o 4/9/12).   And, for the first time in 20 years, “GMA” won the week after the Olympics on NBC in Total Viewers– since the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona.  Additionally, on Yahoo! is the dominant morning news website, leading NBC’s by millions of pageviews and unique users.  In July 2012, 24 million people visited on Yahoo!..


In Adults 25-54, “Good Morning America” finished behind NBC’s “Today” by only 58,000 viewers (1.739 million vs. 1.797 million) during the week.  In fact, “GMA” slashed nearly all of its news demo margins with “Today” both week to week (-93% – 58,000 vs. 821,000) and year to year
(-88% – 58,000 vs. 489,000).


Versus the same week last year, “GMA” saw increases in Total Viewers (+7%) and Adults 25-54 (+3%) 4.333 million and 1.687 million, respectively, on w/o 8/15/11.  In fact, “GMA” improved the most over the year-ago week in Total Viewers and stood as the only morning newscast to grow in Adults 25-54 compared to NBC’s “Today” (-10%/-17%) and “CBS This Morning” (+5%/-1%).


During the week, “GMA” outperformed “Today” in Total Viewers in 4 of 5 head-to-head telecasts (Tues: +221,000, Wed: +611,000, Thurs: +321,000 and Fri: +446,000).  Additionally, in Adults 25-54, “GMA” beat “Today” in 3 of 5 days (Wed: +184,000, Thurs: +41,000 and Fri: +21,000).


Season to date, “GMA” has cut its gaps with “Today” in both Total Viewers (-54%) and Adults 25-54 (-49%) versus its year-ago season gaps.  “GMA” is posting its smallest margins with “Today” in 17 years in Total Viewers (346,000) and Adult 25-54 (361,000) – since the 1994-95 season.


Season to date “GMA” is the only morning program to grow in Total Viewers (+4%) and Adults 25-54 (+6%) versus its year-ago averages (NBC’s “Today:” -4%/-10%, respectively; CBS’ “This Morning:” -6%/-8%, respectively).  “GMA” is seeing its largest overall season audience in 6 years, since 2005-06.


“GMA” nearly doubled the performance of “CBS This Morning” in Total Viewers (+96%), while more than doubling the performance in Adults 25-54 (+101%).


WEEK OF 8/13/12       TOTAL VIEWERS     ADULTS 25-54      HOUSEHOLDS

ABC                    4,654,000      1.4/11; 1,739,000     3.5/14

NBC                    4,399,000      1.5/12; 1,797,000     3.4/13

CBS                    2,376,000      0.7/ 6;   866,000     1.8/ 7


Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers and Adults 25-54 Live + SD weeks of 8/13/12, 8/6/12 & 8/15/11, or as dated.  Most Current:  2011-2012 Season (9/19/11 – 8/19/12) and 2010-2011 Season (9/20/10 – 8/21/11).


Emmy Award-winning “GMA,” featuring the anchor team of Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos, Sam Champion, Lara Spencer and Josh Elliott, airs live Mon.-Fri. (7:00-9:00 a.m., ET) on ABC. Tom Cibrowski is senior executive producer.

Posted by:TV By The Numbers

blog comments powered by Disqus