via press release:
“NBC NIGHTLY NEWS” IS AMERICA’S MOST-WATCHED EVENING NEWSCAST DURING WEEK OF THE PAPAL CONCLAVE
NBC BROADCAST TOPPED ABC BY 1.4 MILLION TOTAL VIEWERS ON DAY NEW POPE WAS CHOSEN
MARCH 19, 2013 – “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams” was the most-watched network evening newscast for the week ending March 15, 2013, according to Nielsen Media Research data. The NBC broadcast averaged 8.069 million total viewers, +876,000 more than ABC “World News,” and +1,666,000 more than CBS “Evening News.”
On Tuesday, the first day of the papal conclave, the NBC broadcast outdelivered ABC by 1.2 million total viewers and CBS by 1.4 million. On Wednesday, the day Pope Francis was elected by the cardinals, NBC topped ABC by 1.4 million total viewers and CBS by 1.7 million.
NOTE: This is the first week of Daylight Savings Time, when viewing levels historically decrease.
“NBC Nightly News” Weekly Highlights:
- Nightly delivered 8.069 million total viewers, +12% (+876,000) more than ABC World News’ 7.193 million and +26% (+1,666,000) more than CBS Evening News’ 6.403 million.
- Nightly averaged a 5.4/11 Household rating, ahead of ABC’s 4.9/10 and CBS’ 4.3/9.
- Nightly has won for 183 consecutive weeks in total viewers, and in 230 of the past 231 weeks among total viewers.
- Nightly delivered a 1.8 A25-54 rating, +2 tenths ahead of ABC’s 1.6 rating and +3 tenths more than CBS’s 1.5 rating.
- Among A25-54 (000), Nightly averaged 2.083 million viewers, +11% (+210,000) viewers ahead of World News’ 1.873 million and +17% (+303,000) ahead of Evening News’ 1.780 million.
- Nightly has topped World News in A25-54 (000) for 225 consecutive weeks.
- Versus the same week last season, Nightly was up +6% among Adults 25-54 and +5% among Women 25-54.
- Season-to-date, Nightly leads World News by +794,000 total viewers, and by +330,000 Adult 25-54 viewers (+2 tenths).
Patrick Burkey is the executive producer of “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams.” For more news and information, go to http://www.nbcnightlynews.com, Facebook.com/NBCNightlyNews, or follow on Twitter @nbcnightlynews.