via press release:
“NBC NIGHTLY NEWS” TOPPING ABC BY WIDEST GAP TO START A SEASON SINCE 2005
SEASON-TO-DATE, NBC BROADCAST IS POSTING MULTI-YEAR HIGHS IN BOTH TOTAL VIEWERS AND ADVANTAGE OVER ABC FOR THE WEEK, NIGHTLY DRAWS BEST TOTAL VIEWER DELIVERY IN OVER SIX MONTHS; WIDENS ADVANTAGE OVER ABC IN KEY DEMO MEASUREMENTS WEEK-TO-WEEK
OCTOBER 29, 2013 – “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams” continued as America’s most-watched network evening newscast in both total viewers and adults 25-54 for the week ending October 25, 2013, according to Nielsen Media Research data. Nightly has won in total viewers for 215 consecutive weeks, and in 262 of the past 263 weeks.
Over the first five weeks of the 2013-14 season, Nightly is posting multi-year highs in both total viewer delivery and advantage over ABC World News. Nightly is averaging 8.339 million total viewers season-to-date, its best start in 7 years (since the 2006-07 season) and outperforming ABC by +750,000 viewers, its biggest gap to start a season since 2005.
· Nightly delivered 8.573 million total viewers, +557,000 more than ABC World News’ 8.016 million and +1,755,000 more than CBS Evening News’ 6.818 million.
· This marks Nightly’s best total viewer delivery since the week of April 15, 2013.
· Nightly averaged a 5.8/11 Household rating, ahead of ABC’s 5.5/11 and CBS’ 4.5/9.
· Nightly delivered a 1.8 A25-54 rating, +2 tenths ahead of ABC’s 1.6 and +5 tenths more than CBS’s 1.3 rating.
· Among A25-54 (000), Nightly averaged 2.176 million viewers, +203,000 ahead of World News’ 1.973 million, and +585,000 ahead of Evening News’ 1.591 million.
· Week-to-week, Nightly widened its advantage over ABC in both demo viewers (+203,000 vs. +168,000) and demo rating (+2 tenths vs. +1 tenth).
· Year-to-year, Nightly posted +7% growth in total viewers.
· Nightly has won in total viewers for 215 consecutive weeks, and in 262 of the past 263 weeks.
· Nightly has won in viewers A25-54 for 256 of the past 257 weeks.
Patrick Burkey is the executive producer of “NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams.” For more news and information, go to http://www.nbcnightlynews.com, Facebook.com/NBCNightlyNews, or follow on Twitter @nbcnightlynews.