via press release:
TRAVEL CHANNEL’S NEW ORIGINAL SERIES
“ADAM RICHMAN’S BEST SANDWICH IN AMERICA” LOCKS IN 30 SANDWICH CONTENDERS FROM 27 CITIES TO COMPETE TO BE
‘THE BEST’ IN AMERICA
Premieres with Back-to-Back Episodes on Wednesday, June 6 at 9:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., ET/PT
CHEVY CHASE, MD (May 1, 2012) – Adam Richman, host of Travel Channel’s new original series “Adam Richman’s Best Sandwich in America,” premiering Wednesday, June 6 at 9:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., ET/PT, has crisscrossed the country sampling countless variations of this delectable and ingenious American icon – the sandwich. After an intensive search, Richman has selected 30 sandwiches from 27 cities in ten geographical regions across the U.S. to be contenders in this ultimate sandwich competition.
In alphabetical order by city, here is the complete list of 30 sandwiches contending for the title of “Adam Richman’s Best Sandwich in America”:
- · Austin, Texas (The Noble Pig) – Seared Beef Tongue with Smoked Green Onions
- · Baltimore (Faidley Seafood) – Crab Cake Sandwich
- · Chapel Hill, N.C. (Time-Out Restaurant) – Chicken Cheddar Biscuit
- · Chicago (The Fifty/50) – The 4-Courser Sandwich
- · Chicago (Al’s Italian Beef) – Al’s Italian Beef
- · Detroit (Slow’s Bar-BQ) – The Yardbird
- · Driftwood, Texas (The Salt Lick) – Sliced Beef Brisket Sandwich
- · Green Bay, Wis. (Kroll’s) – Prime Rib Sandwich
- · Los Angeles (JR’s BBQ) – Pulled Pork Sandwich
- · Minneapolis (Tilia) – Fish Taco Torta
- · Naples, Maine (The Galley Restaurant & Pub) – Zesty Lemon Lobster Roll
- · Nashville, Tenn. (Mitchell’s Delicatessen) – Asian Flank Steak Sandwich
- · New Haven, Conn. (Book Trader Café) – A Tale of Two Turkeys
- · New Orleans (Domilise’s Po-Boy and Bar) – Shrimp Po Boy
- · New York (Katz’s Deli) – Corned Beef & Pastrami Sandwich
- · Pittsburgh (Primanti Brothers) – Cap & Egg Sandwich
- · Philadelphia (DiNic’s) – Roast Pork Sandwich
- · Phoenix (Los Reyes de la Torta) – Torta Del Ray
- · Portland, Ore. (Big Ass Sandwiches) – Big Ass Roast Beef Sandwich
- · Portland, Ore. (Bunk Sandwiches) – Pork Belly Cubano
- · Portsmouth, N.H. (Jumpin’ Jay’s Fish Cafe) – Crab Grilled Cheese
- · Richmond, Va. (Blacksheep) – The CSS Virginia
- · St. Louis (Crown Candy Kitchen) – Heart-Stopping BLT
- · San Diego (Phil’s BBQ) – El Toro
- · San Francisco (Wexler’s) – “Pulled” Lamb Sandwich
- · Savannah, Ga. (Zunzi’s) – The Chicken Conquistador
- · Seattle (Salumi) – The Oxtail Sandwich
- · Tampa, Fla. (Aguila Sandwich Shop) – Media Noche
- · Tampa, Fla. (Skipper’s Smokehouse) – Grouper Reuben
- · Washington (W Hotel) – Chicken Club Sandwich
“Adam Richman’s Best Sandwich in America,” is an 11-episode weekly series (10 half-hour shows with a special one-hour finale), which documents Richman’s nationwide quest to find the best thing since sliced bread ON sliced bread. Using his own BITE SCALE (B=Bread, I=Interior, T=Taste, E=Eating Experience), Richman samples and judges the three most mouthwatering masterpieces a region has to offer. After naming a regional favorite in 10 geographical locales, each winning sandwich moves to the finals, to face off against each other and two secret wildcards – earning a chance to compete in the ultimate national championship – and fight for the title of “Adam Richman’s Best Sandwich in America.” www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/best-sandwich
In the first episode of the season premiere at 9:00 p.m., ET/PT, Richman journeys to the Northeast, visiting Pennsylvania and New York.
- Primanti Brothers is the true taste of Pittsburgh! The Cap & Egg is loaded capicola, coleslaw, a runny egg, tomatoes and a handful of hand-cut fries in between hand sliced Italian bread.
- Inside Philadelphia’s Reading Terminal Market, Tommy DiNic’s Roast Pork Sandwich consists of slow roast pork, aged provolone, roasted peppers and greens and is dripping with juice.
- The Corned Beef and Pastrami Sandwich from Katz’s Delicatessen in New York is typically eaten on rye bread with mustard, but Richman’s favorite way to eat this sandwich is with Russian dressing and coleslaw.
In the second episode of the season premiere at 9:30 p.m., ET/PT, Richman travels to the Gulf Coast, visiting Louisiana and Florida. The sandwich contenders in this region include:
- The Shrimp Po Boy from Domilise’s Po-Boy and Bar in New Orleans is a must-eat. Add loads of fresh shrimp straight from the fry basket onto a loaf of locally made bread, and make sure it gets dressed with tomato, lettuce, and creole mustard with some pickles to top it off.
- Aguila Sandwich Shop in Tampa is a family-run sandwich shop known for their authentic Cuban cuisine. The Media Noche is similar to the Cubano, but with a sweeter variety of bread, and stacked with cooked ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, mayo, mustard and pickles.
- At Skipper’s Smokehouse in Tampa the Grouper Reuben is a favorite. The sandwich has a filet of grouper topped with melted Swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing, and warm sauerkraut placed between two slices of marble rye bread.
“Adam Richman’s Best Sandwich in America” is based on an idea by Adam Richman and produced by Sharp Entertainment for Travel Channel. For Sharp, the executive producers are Matt Sharp, Bob Larson, Dan Adler and Adam Richman, and the series co-executive producer is Bonnie Biggs. For Travel Channel, the executive producer is Daniel A. Schwartz.
TRAVEL CHANNEL (http/::www.travelchannel.com) is a multiplatform travel lifestyle brand with the core mission of providing inspiring and compelling programming that takes viewers beyond their everyday destinations, making the unfamiliar familiar, whether it’s around the world or around the block. A dual feed network that is also available in HD, Travel Channel is the world’s leading travel media brand, and is available in over 94 million U.S. cable homes. Owned and operated by Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE: SNI), Travel Channel has offices in Chevy Chase, MD, and New York, NY. Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE: SNI) also owns and operates HGTV, DIY Network, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Great American Country.