Click this link for the latest CBS renewal / cancellation information: [rssinpage rssfeed=’http://feeds.feedburner.com/TvbythenumbersCancel/renewCBSShows’ rssitems=’1′ rssformat=’Y’]
Our Renew / Cancel Index predicts potential renewal or cancellation for scripted broadcast primetime shows by the end of the 2011-12 season in May, 2012. (includes results from January 2- March 18, 2012):
|Program||Status||Renew/ Cancel Index|
|A Gifted Man (F)*||😳||0.45|
|Blue Bloods (F)||renewed||0.57|
|The Good Wife||renewed||0.68|
|How To Be A Gentleman *||canceled||0.74|
|Rules of Engagement**||😐😐😐 **||1.02|
|NCIS: Los Angeles||renewed||1.04|
|Person Of Interest||renewed||1.05|
|Mike & Molly||renewed||1.14|
|How I Met Your Mother||renewed||1.27|
|2 Broke Girls||renewed||1.37|
|Two And A Half Men||1.38|
|Big Bang Theory||renewed||1.76|
After last week’s renewals of 18 shows by CBS there are only a few unanswered questions:
- CSI:NY & CSI: Miami – one will certainly be canceled, maybe both. It’s unlikely we’ll get any more information about their ratings that would make a difference in any predictions. A shockingly good result from yet to premiere NYC 22 could doom both of them, but that’s highly unlikely. I understand the conventional wisdom that CSI:NY is likely the first on the chopping block, but I don’t have enough faith in that conventional wisdom to make different predictions for them.
- Two And A Half Men – renewal held up by contract talks, and almost certainly will happen. Robert moved it down to “Likely”. I’m keeping it “certain”. Lazy? Or just certain that whatever money issues remain will get sorted out? A little of both.
- Rob & Rules Of Engagement – If CBS doesn’t expand its sitcom time, they’re both probably canceled. Even if CBS does expand its sitcom time, it may only renew one as a back up.
No questions left about either A Gifted Man or Unforgettable, they’re both certain to be canceled.
The Renew / Cancel Index above includes results beginning January 2, 2012. How did CBS’ shows stack up based on their Fall results? Click here.
*shows no longer on the air have their Renew/Cancel Index “frozen” at the point they left the schedule.
- :oops: – certain to be cancelled by May, 2012
- 😥 :cry:- more likely to be cancelled than renewed by May, 2012
- 😐😐 :| – toss up between renewal or cancellation by May, 2012
- 🙂🙂🙂 :) – more likely to be renewed than cancelled by May, 2012
- :mrgreen: – certain to be renewed by May, 2012
The Renew/Cancel Index is the ratio of a scripted show’s new episode adults 18-49 ratings relative to the new episode ratings of the other scripted shows on its own network. It’s calculated by dividing a show’s new episode Live+Same Day adults 18-49 average rating by the Live+Same Day new episode average of all the new scripted show episodes on the show’s own network. The network’s average ratings in the calculation are not time weighted (ex. hour long shows are not weighted twice what 30 minute shows are).
(F) -Fridays: Shows airing on Fridays were renewed with significantly lower than average Indexes.
How would the Renew / Cancel Index Have Done Predicting Last Season’s Scripted Show Fates? Check out how the Renew / Cancel Index predicted renewals and cancellations from the 2010-11 broadcast television season.