via press release:
TBS’ Exclusive coverage of Major League Baseball’s NLDS Game 5 Doubleheader Averages Approx. 6.1 Million Total Viewers
Cardinals/Phillies Game 5 draws Almost 8.4 Million Total Viewers making it the Most Watched NLDS Game Ever on Cable Television
TBS wrapped up its exclusive coverage of Major League Baseball’s (MLB) National League Division Series on Friday with two exciting Game 5 contests. The St. Louis Cardinals vs. Philadelphia Phillies and Arizona Diamondbacks vs. Milwaukee Brewers averaged 6,069,000 total viewers and a 3.8 US HH Rating. In primetime, the two deciding NLDS games on TBS averaged 8,121,000 total viewers and a 5.0 U.S. HH Rating. Game 5 of St. Louis Cardinals/Philadelphia Phillies delivered 8,389,000 total viewers, making it the most watched NLDS game on cable ever. Based on metered market ratings, TBS was the highest-rated network on Friday in cable and number two in all of television.
TBS, which began televising the start of Major League Baseball’s Postseason on Friday, September 30, completed the opening round of the baseball playoffs (19 games — includes TBS and TNT count) averaging 4,190,000 total viewers and a 2.7 U.S. HH Rating. The LDS built an audience throughout the week on TBS. For its coverage from Monday, October 3, to Friday, October 7, the series averaged 5,068,000 total viewers and a 3.3 U.S. HH Rating compared to a 1.9 U.S. HH Rating and 3,002,000 total viewers for the start of the four LDS games on Friday, September 30 to Sunday, October 2.
Overall, TBS’ Exclusive 2011 NLDS Game 5’s delivered strong national and local audiences:
- St. Louis Cardinals/Philadelphia Phillies Game 5 delivered a 5.1 U.S. HH Rating
- St. Louis DMA averaged a 26.8 Household rating
- Philadelphia DMA averaged a 28.5 Household rating
- Arizona Diamondbacks/Milwaukee Brewers earned 4,592,000 total viewers and a 3.0 U.S. HH Rating.
- Phoenix DMA averaged a 13.2 Household rating
- Milwaukee DMA averaged a 25.5 Household rating
Additional Highlights from the LDS:
- Detroit-NY Yankees Game 5 was the highest-rated and most-watched Division Series game ever on cable television delivering a 6.2 U.S.HH rating and 9,720,000 viewers. (2007 ALDS Game 4 – Cleveland @ NY Yankees – 5.9 U.S. HH rating, 9,232,000 total viewers).
- Detroit-NY Yankees Game 5 was the highest-rated and most-watched Division Series game on either broadcast or cable since 2005 (ALDS Game 5 – NY Yankees @ LA Angels – 8.9 HH rating, 13,700,000 total viewers).
- Detroit-NY Yankees Game 5 was the highest-rated and most-watched telecast on TBS since Game 6 of 2010 ALCS, which delivered a 7.2 U.S. HH rating, 11,863,000 total viewers.
- TBS exclusive coverage of MLB’s National League Championship Series (NLCS) begins with Game 1 on Sunday, Oct. 9 at 4 PM ET between the St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers.