Highlights of the FOX press conference call about the 2015-16 season with Co-Chairman and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman:
- Staying on Wednesday at 9PM because “We’d be crazy to move it. We want to thank and reward our fans by leaving it in is timeslot.”
- Empire will have an 18 episode season 2, split into fall and winter halves. FOX will break a lot of its dramas into two halves.
- Empire cast is doing concerts this summer, more promotional efforts start in June.
- Even more big-time guest stars next season, though no names were revealed.
- Ne-Yo will write songs for season 2 along with Timbaland.
- No repeats this summer, other than streaming.
- The final season is likely to include appearances from past judges and contestants.
- Will keep its Wednesday and Thursday timeslots.
- FOX may develop more music competition shows, but the sense is that the genre needs to be reinvented to succeed.
The X Files
- Wanted to maximize exposure by giving it a NFL playoff lead-in, then running second episode the next day.
- The hope is that The X Files will help the launch of Lucifer.
- Chris Carter has not revealed to FOX much of what he has planned, storywise.