via press release:
CNN HAS COMMANDING LEAD OVER MSNBC IN NOVEMBER
OUTRATES MSNBC FOR FIFTH CONSECUTIVE MONTH
CNN Prime-Time Posts Triple Digit Growth; MSNBC Only Cable News Network to Lose Viewers vs. A Year Ago
New Day Tops Morning Joe for Five Straight Months; CNN Beats Maddow
CNN Original Series This is Life with Lisa Ling and Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown Rank #1
Buoyed by news coverage that included the Grand Jury decision in Ferguson, Ebola and the midterm elections, CNN had one of its highest-rated months in recent history – even without carriage on DISH for most of the month of November (about 14% of distribution). For the month, CNN finished a strong second in cable news out-rating MSNBC in total day, M-F primetime and M-Su primetime in both total viewers and the demo 25-54 rating. CNN has now topped MSNBC for five straight months in total day among both demos, and in M-F/M-Su primetime among adults 25-54. This is the network’s longest winning streak across these dayparts and demos in six years (since 2008). In M-F primetime CNN is up triple digits vs. a year ago, posting its highest adults 25-54 rating in more than 18 months (since April 2013). CNN’s dayside news programming more than doubled MSNBC’s audience in the key demo 25-54. CNN Original Series This is Life with Lisa Ling and Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown end their seasons ranking #1. Somebody’s Gotta Do It with Mike Rowe ranks #2 season to-date.
CNN tops MSNBC across the all dayparts in November:
· Total Day (6a-6a) among total viewers (450k vs. MSNBC’s 351k) and in demo 25-54 rating (156k vs. MSNBC’s 104k).
· M-Su Primetime (8-11p) in total viewers (664k vs. MSNBC’s 610k) and the demo 25-54 (269k vs. MSNBC’s 176k).
· M-F Primetime (8-11p) in total viewers (750k vs. MSNBC’s 705k) and the key demo rating (309k vs. MSNBC’s 175k).
· Dayside (9a-4p) in both total viewers (484k vs. MSNBC’s 258k) and demo 25-54 rating (138k vs. MSNBC’s 61k).
MSNBC fell to fourth place in November in total day among adults 25-54, trailing behind both CNN and HLN. While CNN ranked second in total day demo and topped MSNBC for five straight months, HLN ranked third, topping MSNBC for six consecutive months, the longest winning streak in over nine years. MSNBC also fell to third place in M-F and M-Su primetime (8-11pm) in both total viewers and the demo, dropping below second place for the first time since July 2013. Across cable news, MSNBC is the only cable news network to have fewer viewers than they did a year ago in all the key dayparts. MSNBC’s flagship morning show Morning Joe trailed CNN’s New Day in both total viewers and the demo, ranking 3rd and 4th respectively. And their flagship primetime program The Rachel Maddow Show ranked #3 vs. CNN’s programming at 9pm in the key demo 25-54 rating.
CNN program highlights include:
- New Day finished second in the mornings in cable news, beating MSNBC’s Morning Joe in both total viewers (367k vs. 358k) and the key demo rating 25-54 (125k vs. 100k) . New Day has now outperformed MSNBC for the fifth straight month (and seven of the past nine months) in the demo 25-54 and for the second consecutive month in both P2+ and adults 25-54. New Day grew vs. a year ago in total viewers (+44%) and in the demo (+51%); while Joe declined -16% in total viewers and -22% in the demo. CNN is outperforming Morning Joe for the year among viewers 25-54 and has not finished second in the morning in cable since 2008.
- All of CNN’s Dayside programming (9a-4p) easily topped MSNBC this month in both total viewers (484k vs. 258k) and by more than double in the demo rating (138k vs. 61k). CNN’s dayside news programming grew +25% in total viewers and +37% in the demo; while MSNBC posted double-digit declines compared to a year ago.
- The Lead with Jake Tapper ranked #2, topping MSNBC in both total viewers (555k vs. 380k) and in the demo (151k vs. 63k). While The Lead grew +50% vs. a year ago, MSNBC dropped -41% in the demo.
- From 5-7p, The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer also ranked #2 in total viewers (609k vs. MSNBC’s 541k) and in A25-54 (198k vs. 89k). The Sit Room increased +87% while the Ed Show and Politics Nation combined were down -46% in the demo compared to a year ago.
- Erin Burnett Outfront easily topped MSNBC’s Hardball this month in the demo (218k vs. 128k) – growing an impressive +102% while Matthews declined -42% among 25-54 vs. a year ago. In total viewers EBOF was up +57% and Hardball was down -23%.
- AC 360 (8pm) topped MSNBC’s All In with Chris Hayes in both total viewers (684k vs. MSNBC’s 615k) and the demo (248k vs. MSNBC’s 136k). AC 360 grew +35% in total viewers and was up +81% in the demo; while All In declined -12%/-25% respectively compared to last year.
- CNN programming at 9pm easily beat MSNBC’s flagship hour The Rachel Maddow Show (313k vs. 188k) in the key demo 25-54, with CNN growing +172% vs. a year ago. MSNBC’s Maddow decreased -19% vs. a year ago in the key demo 25-54.
- CNN programming at 10pm (mostly CNN Tonight) ranked #2 in both total viewers (674k vs. MSNBC’s 576k) and in the demo (299k vs. MSNBC’s 158k). CNN grew +106% in the demo compared to last year, while MSNBC declined -14%.
- Smerconish ranked #2 in total viewers and the demo at 9am on Saturdays.
[if !supportLists]· [endif]State of the Union with Candy Crowley ranked #2 in both total viewers and the key demo at 9am and noon on Sundays.
- Fareed Zakaria GPS ranked #2 in both total viewers and the key demo at 10am and 1pm.
- Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter ranked #2 in total viewers and among 25-54 at 11am. RS increased the most in total viewers, up +16% vs. a year ago.
[if !supportLists]· [endif]For the week of 11/24/14, CNN ranked #1 in adults 25-54 across total day and M-F/M-Su primetime, the third time in over six years (since the week of 11/3/08) that has happened. CNN also ranked #1 in the demo for 39 consecutive hours – from 2p Mon 11/24/14 to 5a Tue 11/25/14.
CNN Original Series Highlights:
This is Life with Lisa Ling – Season One (9/28-11/16/14):
Over its eight Sunday 10p premieres in Season 1, This is Life with Lisa Ling averaged 273k P25-54 and 607k total viewers.
It ranked #1 across cable news in its time period among both demos, more than doubling Fox News in P25-54.
Beat MSNBC (171k) by +60% and Fox News (125k) by +118% in P25-54.
Ahead of Fox News (591k) by +3% and MSNBC (341k) by +78% in total viewers.
This is Life was above the prior-to-launch four Sunday time period average by +51% in P25-54 (181k) and +33% in total viewers (457k), the largest growth among cable news in the hour in both demos.
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown – Season Four (9/28-11/16/14):
Over its eight Sunday 9p premieres in Season 4, Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown averaged 362k P25-54 and 715k total viewers.
It ranked #1 in P25-54 across cable news in its time period, outperforming the combined delivery of MSNBC and Fox News, and more than doubled MSNBC in total viewers.
More than doubled MSNBC (+183%; 128k) and nearly tripled Fox News (+197%; 122k) among P25-54.
Beat MSNBC by +144% among total viewers (293k).
Every premiere episode of Parts Unknown in Season 4 also ranked #1 in P25-54 across cable news in its time period.
Parts Unknown was above the prior-to-launch four Sunday time period average by +75% in P25-54 (207k) and +27% in total viewers (561k), the only growth among cable news in the hour in P25-54, and the largest and only double-digit increase in total viewers.
Somebody’s Gotta Do It with Mike Rowe – Season One to-date (10/8-11/19/14):
Over its six premieres to-date on Wednesdays at 9p, Somebody’s Gotta Do It with Mike Rowe has averaged 326k P25-54 and 726k total viewers.
It ranks #2 in P25-54 across cable news in its time period, more than doubling MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Show (+138%; 137k).
Somebody’s Gotta Do It is above the prior-to-launch four Wednesday time period average by +61% in P25-54 (202k) and +36% in total viewers (535k), the largest growth among cable news in the hour in both demos.
Data is a blend of Nielsen Live+SD and the more inclusive Live+3 and final Live+7 data when available.