Fox News Continues To Lead Cable News Ratings

For the third quarter of 2011 Fox News kept up its run at the top of the cable news viewership rankings in Total Day and Primetime for the 39th quarter in a row, topping CNN and MSNBC combined and total viewers in both time periods. Every Fox News program was #1 in its timeslot in total viewership and adults 25-54 and beat the hours combined competition from CNN and MSNBC.

Fox News was the fifth most watched cable network overall during primetime in total viewership for the quarter while MSNBC was #26, CNN was #29 and HLN was #30.

Individual shows also saw gains. Shepard Smith’s The FOX Report was up 7% in viewership and 5% in adults 25-54 vs. Q3 2010. Red Eye had its highest quarter ever in both total viewership and adults 25-54. FOX & Friends increased 4% in total viewership and 9% in adults 25-54. Newcomer The Five was #6 among all cable news shows without a household name on its marquee and is within shouting distance of The Glenn Beck Show that it replaced. It wasn’t on in Q3 2010, but is up 9% in total viewership and 17% among adults 25-54 in September compared to its first month (July).

For the quarter the top five cable news programs in total viewership were The O’Reilly Factor (2,886,000); Hannity (2,065,000); Special Report (1,865,000); On the Record (1,738,000); and FOX Report (1,673,000), and the top five cable news programs in adults 25-54 were The O’Reilly Factor (633,000); Hannity (512,000); On the Record (432,000); The O’Reilly Factor repeat (400,000); and FOX Report (399,000).

Q3’11 RATINGS  (6/27-9/25/11)

FNC: 1,894,000 in viewers (440,000 in adults 25-54)
MSNBC: 756,000 in viewers (244,000 in adults 25-54)
CNN: 676,000 in viewers (221,000 in adults 25-54)
HLN: 669,000 in viewers (189,000 in adults 25-54)

FNC: 1,077,000 in viewers (280,000 in adults 25-54)
CNN: 475,000 in viewers (158,000 in adults 25-54)
HLN: 450,000 in viewers (149,000 in adults 25-54)
MSNBC: 428,000 in viewers (149,000 in adults 25-54)

Nielsen Cable Network Coverage Estimates (as of July, 2011)

CNN/HLN: 101.12 million HHs

CNBC: 98.62 million HHs

FNC: 99.15 million HHs

MSNBC: 95.72 million HHs

Fox Business: 58.15 million HHs

Nielsen TV Ratings Data: ©2011 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved.

Posted by:TV By The Numbers

blog comments powered by Disqus