The story of the Bordelon family on OWN’s “Queen Sugar” will continue for at least one more season.
OWN has renewed the critically acclaimed drama for a third season, the channel announced Wednesday. “Queen Sugar” has been a steady ratings performer, with Season 2 so far scoring nearly identical numbers to its inaugural run.
“Queen Sugar” creator Ava DuVernay has also signed a first-look TV deal with Harpo Films, OWN CEO Oprah Winfrey’s production company.
“I’m so proud of Ava and her ability as a filmmaker to challenge the status quo and push for inclusiveness on screen and behind the camera,” Winfrey says in a statement. “I love, love, love the work we have been able to create so far. I am looking forward to developing many more meaningful projects together.”
DuVernay (“Selma,” “A Wrinkle in Time,” “13th”) is currently working with Harpo on “Central Park Five,” a five-part Netflix miniseries about the teenagers who were wrongly convicted of raping a woman in New York’s Central Park in 1989.
“Queen Sugar” is averaging a 0.5 rating among adults 18-49 and 1.72 million viewers for initial airings so far this season. That’s virtually identical to the 0.5 and 1.77 million same-day viewers for Season 1.
With a week of DVR and on-demand viewing, the show improves to 0.9 in adults 18-49 and around 2.4 million viewers.
“There is fresh air and room to roam,” DuVernay says in a statement. “There is an artist-driven atmosphere and an intention to share stories that nourish. There is a spirit of inclusivity and imagination moving at all times. This is the new era of OWN. I’m thrilled to continue to collaborate with Ms. Winfrey as we expand the scope of our storytelling. And I feel fortunate to be a small part of this network at such a wonderful time in its evolution.”
Season 3 of “Queen Sugar” will come to OWN in 2018. There’s no word yet on a premiere date.