via press release:



“Today” Has Won Every Single Week For 15 Years – The Longest Running Current Winning Streak in All of Broadcast Television

Season-To-Date, “Today” Posts Its Best Win Over GMA in A25-54 in 8 Years and Its Best Win in A18-49 in 10 Years

NEW YORK – December 13, 2010 – Since December 11, 1995, NBC News’ “Today” has conducted 155 interviews with sitting and former US presidents, travelled to seven Olympics, interviewed 106 CEOs, chatted with 105 Oscar winners, married 10 couples, produced 494 concerts on the Plaza, featured 3,259 books, and shown 1,226 fashionable styles.  Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira have said the ubiquitous, “This is ‘Today’ on NBC” 11,700 times, Ann Curry has informed Americans what they need to know in 19,110 newscasts, and Al Roker has told viewers what’s happening in their neck of the woods 20,580 times.

That day also began an unprecedented run in television history.  It was the first day of “Today’s” 15-year, 783-week winning streak.  No other morning news program has come close to a run like “Today’s,” and it marks the longest current winning streak in all of broadcast television, by any show, in any daypart.

After covering countless news events, traveling to “The Ends of the Earth” and back, and interviewing the nation’s top newsmakers and leaders, Matt, Meredith, Al, Ann, Natalie, Kathie Lee, Hoda and all of the “Today” show staff want to thank the millions of viewers who have kept the show in first place for such an extraordinary run.  Please visit for some of the anchors’ and hosts’ comments and for a look back at the past 15 years on “Today.”

Continuing its remarkable run, America’s favorite morning program dominates the competition.  Season-to-date, “Today” has posted its biggest win over GMA in A25-54 in eight years (+46%) and its biggest win over GMA in A18-49 in ten years (+67%).  The third hour of “Today” now regularly tops “Live! with Regis and Kelly” leading by 6% (+185,000) in total viewers and 11% in A25-54.  And “Today’s” fourth hour continues to grow, posting its best season yet, up 6% (+116,000) in total viewers, and up 17% in A25-54.

Rounding out 783 weeks in first place, “Today” aced the week ending December 10.  According to preliminary Nielsen time-period data, “Today” delivered 5.5 million viewers for the week topping GMA by 925k in total viewers, and a whopping 928k in A25-54 viewers.  Please note: these numbers are subject to change when official national data is available.

Additionally, “Today” is just as successful online as it is in broadcast. averages 36 million video streams a month, which is more than and combined (+41%).  Source: Nielsen Video Census (January-October 2010).

Jim Bell is the executive producer of “Today” (Monday – Friday, 7-11 a.m.).

Posted by:TV By The Numbers

blog comments powered by Disqus