via press release:
2011 IS BET’S MOST WATCHED YEAR EVER
Three Consecutive Years Of Audience Growth For BET
BET Remains The #1 Cable Network Among African-Americans
CENTRIC Posts Year-Over-Year Viewership Gains
NEW YORK – December 21, 2011 – Coming off of a year of blockbuster scripted, music and specials programming, BET Networks announces another record breaking year in 2011 for both BET and CENTRIC. According to the Nielsen Company, 2011 is the #1 year among all viewers for BET, adults 18+, females 2+ and adult women 18+. BET also posted its #1 year in Primetime among total households, viewers, adults 18-34 and adults 18+. Primetime posted viewership gains, up +6% compared to 2010. This year also marks the third consecutive year of viewership growth among total day and prime dayparts. CENTRIC also posted year-over-year viewership gains in 2011 and now ranks among the top 15 ad-supported cable growth networks this year among total households.
Competitively, BET continues to reign as the #1 cable network among African-American adult viewers across key demos including 18-34, 18-49 and women 18-49. Among BET‘s target demo, African-Americans 18-49, the network has been the #1 ad-supported cable network for the past 11 consecutive years and is among the top 20 ad-supported cable networks among adults 18-49 for the past three consecutive years. Additional highlights from the year include:
- In 2011, BET had more top ranked original programming among Black viewers versus any other network (#1 THE GAME season 4, #2 LET’S STAY TOGETHER, #4, SUNDAY BEST season 4, #9 REED BETWEEN THE LINES, #10 TOYA: A FAMILY AFFAIR, #16 BORN TO DANCE, #17 THE FAMILY CREWS season 2).
- With the success of BET’s scripted content in 2011, BET posted the largest audience growth of any other cable network among Black women 18-49 on Tuesday Nights. And among Women 18-49, BET is one of the top cable networks posting the biggest year-over-year gains, ranking #3 on Tuesday nights for cable.
- THE GAME season 4 is the #1 sitcom in ad-supported cable TV history averaging 4.3 million viewers. It also ranks among the top 5 series on cable TV among Adults 18-49.
- Among new sitcoms this year on television (broadcast and cable), BET’s LET’S STAY TOGETHER andREED BETWEEN THE LINES took the top two spots among Blacks respectively (households, viewers and adults 18-49).
- SUNDAY BEST season 4 was the #1 CY11 competition series on cable among Black viewers and ranks among cable’s top 5 series among Black viewers this year.
- This year, BET is the #1 ad-supported cable destination among Blacks for movies (households, viewers and adults 18-49). In 2011, BET had more movies that rank among the top 20 CY11 movies on television among Black adults 18-34 than any other network (15 of 20).
- The BET AWARDS franchise remains as the #1 program in cable TV history among African-Americans, and it is BET’s #1 telecast every year. The BET AWARDS ‘11 posted key gains of +21% among adults 18-34 and +8% among adults 18-49 and, it was the #1 award show on TV among African-American viewers.
- 106 & PARK has been the #1 music variety series on cable television for the past 18 consecutive quarters among adults 18-49. The show also continues to be the cable time-slot winner among Blacks.
- Among African-Americans, BLACK GIRLS ROCK! was the #1 non-sports telecast on television (broadcast and cable) and the #1 cable telecast on its premiere night for the 2nd consecutive year.
- HIP HOP AWARDS 2011 is the #1 BET HIP HOP AWARDS ever and the program maintains its position as the #1 hip hop-themed telecast on television (broadcast and cable) for 6 consecutive years (2006-2011).
- CELEBRATION OF GOSPEL is the #1 gospel telecast in BET history among viewers and was the #1 gospel/religious telecast for the 11th consecutive year (2000-2011).
- CENTRIC posted its best total day and prime year of all-time among total viewers and its target audience, Adults 25-54.
- The Network posted year-over-year viewership gains (+11%).
- The 2011 SOUL TRAIN AWARDS also posted its best performance in CENTRIC’s history, up double-digits versus the 2010 SOUL TRAIN AWARDS premiere (+10%).
- BET’s 106 & Park App has been downloaded by 2.2 million consumers.
- BET AWARDS ‘11 mobile page views are up 60% versus year over year.
- BET ended 2011 by doubling its social media footprint, led by Facebook.
- According to HootSuite’s What the Trend December 2011 report, 106 & PARK ranked among the top10 U.S. Trending U.S. TV shows (#5).
- According to trendrr.tv, BET was the #1 cable network for social media activity in June 2011 with the BET AWARDS ‘11, which drew more than 1.4 million social impressions during the June 26 telecasts. The BET AWARDS ‘11 was the #1 cable show for social activity in June 2011.
** Source: Nielsen Media Research. Live + Same Day data.
Centric is a 24-hour music and entertainment channel that reflects the lifestyle and sophistication of today’s African-American and multicultural adult viewer. With a finger on the pulse of an ever-changing beat, its compelling music content fuses Soul, R&B, Neo-Soul, Hip Hop, Reggae, Gospel, Jazz, Old School, New School and everything in between with today’s hottest artists. It is a unique of mix of music, culture and lifestyle programming that embodies the lives, tastes and aspirations of the CENTRIC viewer: All you. All day. All night.
About BET Networks
BET Networks, a subsidiary of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), is the nation’s leading provider of quality entertainment, music, news and public affairs television programming for the African-American audience. The primary BET channel reaches more than 90 million households and can be seen in the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, the United Kingdom and sub-Saharan Africa. BET is the dominant African-American consumer brand with a diverse group of business extensions: BET.com, a leading Internet destination for Black entertainment, music, culture, and news; CENTRIC, a 24-hour entertainment network targeting the 25- to 54-year-old African-American audience; BET Digital Networks – BET Gospel and BET Hip Hop, attractive alternatives for cutting-edge entertainment tastes; BET Home Entertainment, a collection of BET-branded offerings for the home environment including DVDs and video-on-demand; BET Event Productions, a full-scale event management and production company with festivals and live events spanning the globe; BET Mobile, which provides ringtones, games and video content for wireless devices; and BET International, which operates BET in the United Kingdom and oversees the extension of BET network programming for global distribution.