abc_david_muir_thg_120223_wblog

via press release:

“World News Tonight” is the Only Evening News Broadcast to Improve Week to Week in Adults 25-54

 

Season to Date “World News Tonight” Closes Nearly All of its News Demo Gap with “NBC Nightly News,” Delivering its Closest Performance in 8 years 

 

“World News Tonight” Averages Nearly a Half Million More Viewers Every Night Season to Season

 

ABC News’  “World News Tonight with David Muir” averaged 7.505 million Total Viewers, 1.795 million Adults 25-54 and 1.252 million Adults 18-49 for the week of July 13, 2015, based on Live +Same Day Data from Nielsen Media Research. 

 

“World News Tonight” turned in week-to-week gains (1.781 million and 1.214 million, respectively, for w/o 7/6/15) in Adults 25-54 (+1%) and Adults 18-49 (+3%).  In addition, the ABC program stood as the only evening newscast to post increases from the previous week in either demo as both “CBS Evening News” (-4%/7%) and “NBC Nightly News” (-4%/-6%) were down in both measures.

 

“World News Tonight” improved on the same week last year in Total Viewers (+3% – 7.505 million vs. 7.257 million on w/o 7/14/14) for the 11th week in a row.

 

“World News Tonight” decreased its gaps with “NBC Nightly News” from the previous week by more than half in all key target demos: Total Viewers (-52% – 309,000 vs. 639,000), Adults 25-54 (-54% – 81,000 vs. 178,000) and Adults 18-49 (-59% – 83,000 vs. 201,000). 

 

“World News Tonight” narrowed its Total Viewers margin with “NBC Nightly News” from the same week last year by –40% (309,000 vs. 518,000).

 

Season to date, “World News Tonight” has slashed nearly all of its season margin with “NBC Nightly News” in Adults 25-54 (-96% – 8,000 vs. 180,000), delivering its closest news demo performance with the NBC program in 8 years – since the 2006-07 season.  

 

Season to date, “World News Tonight” is averaging 488,000 more viewers, compared to the same time frame last season (8.428 million vs. 7.940 million), while “NBC Nightly News” is posting a 255,000 average loss (8.784 million vs. 9.039 million).  For the 2nd year in a row, “World News Tonight” is improving versus the same point last season in both Total Viewers (+6%) and Adults 25-54 (+1%) In fact, “World News Tonight” is improving the most in Total Viewers and standing as the only evening newscast to grow in Adults 25-54 compared to “CBS Evening News” (+3%/-2%) and “NBC Nightly News” (-3%/-7%). 

 

“World News Tonight” is averaging its largest overall viewer audience in 8 years and strongest in the key adult news demo in 4 years – since the 2006-07 and the 2010-11 seasons, respectively.  

 

“World News Tonight” cut its season gaps with “NBC Nightly News” by more than half in Total Viewers (-68% – 356,000 vs. 1.099 million) and Adults 18-49 (-62% – 89,000 vs. 233,000) to its closest performance in 7 years in Total Viewers and in 8 years in Adults 18-49  – since the 2007-08 and the 2006-07 seasons, respectively.

 

For the week, “World News Tonight” led the “CBS Evening News” by 1.017 million Total Viewers, by 351,000 Adults 25-54 and by 243,000 Adults 18-49.

 

ABC “World News Tonight with David Muir” airs at 6:30 p.m., ET on the ABC Television Network.  Almin Karamehmedovic is the executive producer of the broadcast. Follow David Muir and the “World News Tonight” team online: @DavidMuir; @WNTonight; facebook.com/DavidMuirABCfacebook.com/WorldNewsTonight.

 

EVENING NEWS (Week of July 13, 2015)

                 

           TOTAL VIEWERS   ADULTS 25-54    ADULTS 18-49    HOUSEHOLDS

 

ABC WORLD NEWS 

TONIGHT            7,505,000   1.5/7; 1,795,000 1.0/5; 1,252,000   5.0/11

NBC NIGHTLY NEWS   7,814,000   1.6/7; 1,876,000 1.1/6; 1,335,000   5.1/11

CBS EVENING NEWS   6,488,000   1.2/5; 1,444,000 0.8/4; 1,009,000   4.3/ 9

 

 

Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers, Adults 25-54 and Adults 18-49 Live + SD weeks of 7/13/15, 4/6/15 and 7/14/14.  Most Current: 2014-2015 Season (9/22/14 – 7/19/15) and 2013-2014 Season (9/23/13 – 7/20/14).  Averages based on regular telecasts.    

Posted by:TV By The Numbers

blog comments powered by Disqus