via press release:
USA Defeats Australia In Most-Watched Women’s World Cup Group Stage Match On Record & Most-Watched Soccer Match Ever on FOX Sports 1
Vancouver, B.C. – The U.S. Women’s National Team won its inaugural FIFA WOMEN’S WORLD CUP 2015™ Group Stage match, 3-1, over Australia Monday night in Winnipeg, and in so doing powered FOX Sports 1 to an historic night.
– USA – Australia attracted 3.311 million viewers and is the most-watched FIFA Women’s World Cup Group Stage match on record, beating the previous record of USA-Denmark (6/19/99), which drew 2.457 million (1991 data unavailable, according to Nielsen).
– The audience (3.311 million) more than tripled the first U.S. match in the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup (1.074 million).
– The audience is the largest ever for a soccer match in the history of FOX Sports 1 (Previous record: 806,000 on 4/15/15 for the friendly between the U.S. Men’s National Team and Mexico).
– USA-Australia posted 118,000 unique streams on FOX Sports GO, making it the most-streamed authenticated event ever on the app, besting the previous mark set by 2014 World Series Game 7.
– Washington, D.C. led all metered markets with a 4.5 rating, followed by Baltimore (3.8), St. Louis (3.7), Hartford (3.6), San Diego (3.2), Seattle (3.1), Orlando (2.9), Sacramento (2.9), Kansas City (2.9) and Los Angeles (2.8).
Through the first eight matches of the FIFA WOMEN’S WORLD CUP 2015™, program viewership is averaging 1.054 million vs. 598,000 in 2011, a +76% increase.