via press release:
NEW DISCOVERY CHANNEL SERIES ‘SONS OF WINTER’ ANSWERS CALL OF THE WILD
IN THE ULTIMATE COMING-OF-AGE SURVIVAL TALE
Epic Family Journey Begins Tuesday, April 28 at 10 PM ET/PT on Discovery
(Los Angeles, Calif.) Meet the Barks family, homesteaders who have rejected modern living in favor of living off the grid and maintaining a prairie lifestyle in Northern Saskatchewan, a remote province in Canada. This winter, their entire world is about to change. The two eldest sons, 20-year-old Dale and 19-year-old Shane, will embark on an epic, 90-day journey hundreds of miles away from home in order to survive the unforgiving wilderness on their own. From Gurney Productions, the series premiere of SONS OF WINTER airs Tuesday, April 28 at 10:00 PM ET/PT on Discovery Channel.
For years, the Barks family has embraced a pioneer lifestyle, sustaining themselves by running a trapline and trading animal meat and fur for basic life necessities. Togetherness has always been the key to survival for patriarch Randy, his wife Tara and their three sons, Dale, Shane and Kole. This winter, one thing’s certain: Dale and Shane’s perilous journey and rite of passage to manhood will test the entire family’s perseverance, faith and strength. Will the boys survive or die trying?
In the ultimate test of survival, Dale and Shane will venture alone into the wilderness for 90 days during the coldest months in the year. Together they will battle the elements, forage for food, establish their own trapping area and attempt to overcome the myriad dangers that surround them in the untamed landscape. Meanwhile, Randy, Tara and their youngest son Kole must adapt and learn to survive the sub-arctic winter without their eldest sons. Now, separated by hundreds of miles, the two depleted camps will struggle to endure the winter as Dale and Shane undergo their transition from boys to woodsmen. But in a place isolated from the rest of the world – two days from the nearest hospital and at the mercy of the harsh weather – every day will bring with it new challenges and dangers.
Meet the Barks Family:
· Randy Barks, The Patriarch: Randy is the wise bearded patriarch of the Barks family who has always made the big decisions for his family. With a deep appreciation of nature, he has chosen a life of simplicity and subsistence living in the wilderness and has instilled the same values in his family.
· Tara Barks, The Devoted Mother: Tara loves her boys more than anything. She worries constantly about her eldest boys and is uncertain of their ability to survive on their own.
· Dale Barks, Eldest Son: 20-year-old Dale asserts his leadership over his younger brothers Shane and Kole. Highly intelligent and often overconfident, he is a dreamer who feels most at home in the woods.
· Shane Barks, Middle Son: 19-year-old Shane is Dale’s right hand man who has an incredibly strong work ethic. Although he mostly defers to his older brother, throughout the journey, he becomes aware that he may be more fit for leadership.
· Kole Barks, Youngest Son: The youngest of the Barks boys, 15-year-old Kole will remain at home while his older brothers embark on their coming-of-age journey. Working closely with his father, he will take on a bigger role on the family trapline.
SONS OF WINTER is produced for Discovery Channel by Gurney Productions. For Gurney Productions, Executive Producers are Scott Gurney, Dierdre Gurney, Josh Silberman and Bill Hochhauser. Co-Executive Producers are Rick Sasson and Paul Matusheski. For Discovery Channel, Denise Contis, Joseph Boyle and Joe Schneier serve as Executive Producers.
About Discovery Channel
Discovery Channel is dedicated to creating the highest quality non-fiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which is distributed to 100.8 million U.S. homes, can be seen in 224 countries and territories, offering a signature mix of compelling, high-end production values and vivid cinematography across genres including, science and technology, exploration, adventure, history and in-depth, behind-the-scenes glimpses at the people, places and organizations that shape and share our world. For more information, please visit www.discovery.com
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching nearly 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. For 30 years Discovery has been dedicated to satisfying curiosity and entertaining viewers with high-quality content through its global television brands, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery and Science, as well as U.S. joint venture network OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Discovery controls Eurosport, the leading pan-regional sports entertainment destination across Europe, Asia Pacific, the Middle East and Africa. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, through Discovery Education, and a digital leader with a diversified online portfolio, including Discovery Digital Networks. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.