via press release:
DISCOVERY CHANNEL’S ALL NEW VEGAS RAT RODS PREMIERES AS PART OF MOTOR MONDAYS ON MAY 19 AT 10 PM
Steve Darnell and his team of rat rod specialists are master automotive fabricators. They work out of a sprawling garage, Welder Up, on the outskirts of the Las Vegas Strip, re-building one-of-a-kind Mad Max-style “rat rod” cars out of hidden treasure for quirky customers. All-new series, VEGAS RAT RODS, premieres Monday May 19 at 10PM ET/PT.
An expert picker, Darnell finds hidden treasure buried in junkyards, farmers’ fields and swap meets. He and his crew assemble his finds into rolling works of auto-art. In each episode of VEGAS RAT RODS, creativity and imagination are taken to the next level as each rat rod created represents the person it is being made for.
From a shotgun gearshift and mason jar tail lights, to death row electric chair car seats and horseshoe gas peddles, each rat rod featured on VEGAS RAT RODS is equal parts discarded treasure, high-tech performance parts and wild imagination from Darnell and his entire team. Characters on the series include:
- Barber Dave – A Las Vegas native, he’s Darnell’s cousin.
- Dan – Darnell’s life-long mentor and motor specialist who brings 30 years of technical expertise to the team
- Dave – “The Money Guy” and the newest member of Darnell’s team
- Justin – Darnell’s former brother-in-law and protégé
- Kyle – An expert in chassis and sheet metal fabrication. When it comes to creating unique rides, Kyle says “if it has a motor in it, I can customize it.”
- Mackay – The Montana-native is the crew’s “Jack of all Trades.” From welding and heavy lifting to comic relief, his antics push Darnell to the edge
- Travis – The resident artist. From concept art to interior design to paint jobs, Travis is on hand to bring Darnell’s ambitious ideas to life
- Twiggy – Hailing from Toronto, Twiggy is a tatooed wonder-kid! A recent automotive student, she has left the city life behind to apprentice with Darnell and the crew.
VEGAS RAT RODS is produced for Discovery Channel by Proper Television where Guy O’Sullivan and Karen Wookey serve as executive producers. For Discovery, Jim Beard is Executive Producer with Lisbeth Lozano as associate producer.
About Discovery Communications
About Discovery Communications: Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.5 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories. Discovery is dedicated to satisfying curiosity, engaging and entertaining viewers with high-quality content on more than 200 worldwide television networks, led by Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery and Science, as well as U.S. joint venture networks OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network and the Hub Network. Discovery also is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, including an award-winning series of K-12 digital textbooks, and a digital leader with a diversified online portfolio, including Discovery Digital Networks. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.
About Discovery Channel
Discovery Channel is dedicated to creating the highest quality non-fiction content that informs and entertains its consumers about the world in all its wonder, diversity and amazement. The network, which is distributed to 98 million U.S. homes, can be seen in 225 countries and territories, offering a signature mix of compelling, high-end production values and vivid cinematography across genres including, science and technology, exploration, adventure, history and in-depth, behind-the-scenes glimpses at the people, places and organizations that shape and share our world. For more information, please visit www.discovery.com.